Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wedding in Muar and Spa Sand

Wedding in Muar

Last sat, our entire family went back to Muar to attend my cousin's wedding. Now for English, cousin doesnt say which side of the family. So is more of 表哥, which means is different surname cos the blood relationship is to the mom, who is my aunty 姑姑. My brother drove down from Segamat to meet us at 'home' which is to me, is grandparents place, aka ancestral home.

Now for the past 5 CNY, I had chosen NOT to go back during CNY holidays for various reasons. The biggest is the rush to and back is tiring. Cos dont get to sleep well there. Also the reason for rushing back was to see Grandparents, whom had passed away. Though there are a few other relatives to see but they dont rank high on my list.

The other main reason is that I dislike the 'cave-man style', or 'time-warp' which happens whenever I go back. Things had deteoriated from the time of my grandma's passing. With mentally ill aunty and maniac uncle (I dont even use the term uncle at all, call loser) running around the house, things like daily necessities are really not there. Things that most if not everyone takes for granted, are not there, cos aunt is not mobile nor independent, loser cant be bothered to lift a finger at all unless its to his own gain.

So given such an environment, MOST of us, excluding my Dad, detests going back. Whenever go back, have to clean and dust like crazy cos nobody maintains the cleanliness of the house at all. Only bother their 'own' area. So I also detest seeing such extreme selfish behaviour. My mom whenever she goes back had to clean like crazy. My dad doesnt lift a finger to help. Its a woman's job implied and that's another thing I hate about this old-fashion thinking that seems to stay in this house, despite the rest of the world moving on.

Its really like a 'twilight, time warp' that despite great advances in technology, appliances. Things like getting hot water is still through the old fashion way of heating using kettle and then pouring into a bucket to mix cold water. That there is no connection to the outside world except through the tv, which doesnt belong to us. So cannot use. Its like a stand-alone island in the middle of the ocean. No wonder the older we get, the more we want to head out to the town area. To see people, to buy things needed, to 'feel' that the world is progressing, to see normal people.

So Geoky and I helped mom to clean up the dusty room, the outside living area and downstairs room for Dad. Many hands make light work cos my mom has gotten older. And plus the fact that we are no longer kids, should help out, cos not like we are kids and dont know how to clean. So I wiped, swept, mopped the whole upstairs excluding the loser's area of course. Geoky helped to wipe and clean the dusty table tops, windows, chairs, bed. Then mom settle the bed and mattress to set up the bed, put in pillows and covers. True enough, within an hour plus, finished.

I was grumbling about having to clean the downstairs room cos like my dad and bro supposed to sleep there but the girls have to clean it. Bro was out then. Dad didnt lift a finger to help. Grr... didnt want Mom to have to do it cos nobody to do it. So I grudgingly went to mop the whole floor. I didnt do as spectacular a job as I did for upstairs. Just made sure floor is clean. Then later helped Geoky settle the bed. Felt so tired after that. Think even a maid dont do so much... or had to clean such a dirty place. Blame those lazy asses who inhabit the ancestral home and made it such a dump. Even our home in Sg is cleaner though its smaller and more cramp, at least its cleaner, has necessities, has comfort, which are the things lacking in this ancestral home. Signz.

Then after that peng san and stoned at table, drink water/tea/coffee. Later took a quick bath to freshen up cos felt dirty after doing all the cleaning. That was around 5pm. We arrived and ate in town, reached about 2-3pm plus. Then settle to do a little bit of work I brought, read storybook, talk. Intense cleaning is tiring. Every time is like a spring-cleaning session. I pity my mom who had to follow my dad back on a number of occassions alone. That meant she did all the cleaning herself. Signz.

Later near evening, we got ready and dressed for the evening. Then kanchong dad drove us over. The event itself is held in a newly built convenction hall in the outskirts of town. Though I feel happy for cousin, but the whole dinner seemed subdued. Partly cos our family didnt get to sit together in a table. Cos free seating, so not enough empty seats at the tables. Initially had one clear table but while we were settling down. A whole bunch of elderlys came and started sitting down and jioing more elderly to sit down together. So in the end, we split into different tables. I sat with my sisters, at a table with 7 other aunties of at least 45-70 that we dont know. My I-touch is more interesting than anything else going on.

So mainly was looking at stage for the usual wedding stuff, then playing I-touch, talking with sisters, eating food, trying to get the people to refill my cup with tea. But dunno why nobody serving tea. So in the end, settled for beer and even some watered down VSOP. The best dish is the Suckling Pig and the Fish. The worst is the Fish Maw soup.

I would really count myself as an unpicky eater. Most if not all food I eat. I eat most class of meat, types of veg, all sorts of fruits. There are a few food items that I genuinely dislike due to the taste but I can really count with fingers. Of course there are a list of food that I am sick of eating cos of my Dad. BUT this particular fish maw soup takes the cake. I had eaten fish maw before BUT dunno why our table's one. When I put a piece chewed, I almost PUKED immediately. In fact, I wanted to spit it out but I was surrounded by a whole table of elderly at a wedding dinner.

Why?

Well cos when I chewed through the fish maw, the middle dunno why, the soup didnt get it, so tasted the original taste. AND IT TASTED AND SMELT LIKE A CB in my mouth lor! Wah lao. It got worse as I had to chew it so that I could force myself to swallow. I tried to keep my face straight though I think my brows and face was obviously distressed. After downing that piece, I looked at my sisters and yet they seem okay. I told them it smelt and tasted like I was eating my own CB but they say okay leh. Hmm.... was thinking maybe it was just me. So I took another one out of the 3-4 pieces in my bowl and put in my mouth to try again.

OMFG! The second one lagi worse than the first time. The experience of eating 臭豆腐 taught me that after the first taste, it knocks out the system such that the 2nd and so on, tasted pretty good. BUT in this case, it didnt. I really almost spitted out the damn big piece on the table. Frows curved and facial distress. It was another super smelly CCB! Argh... (FYI, I had never eaten a CB before but just that the whole smell reminds me of one)

Man after that I had to rinse my mouth and throat with the tea/water. Almost died from this experience. Then I just drank the soup and ate everything else except those fish maw. Frankly fish maw if cooked well are nice but dunno why, this version really almost killed me by suffocating on CB smell. Call it over-exaggeration. BUT NO, it was THAT BAD. Really, I never want to eat something like that ever again.

Luckily for the rest of the dinner, everything else was fine, some delicious too. Then we took pics here and there with our various cousins. I have 6 cousins from the same aunty. After dinner we headed home.

Due to not airing too much dirty laundry in public already, I shall skip one incident that resulted in me and my mom and sister, sleeping at twelve plus and then waking up at 3am plus. Frankly my opinion is this. My grandfather can drink and hold his liquor and is a man of few words. The second generation (aka my dad and bunch) cant drink and cannot hold liquor well. As for me, part of third generation, my 酒量 is good (though at times cos I dont drink much 烈酒, switched to drinking beer, it has fallen a bit) but still I think I hold my liquor well. I dunno the limit of my bro and sisters to qualify. But still think IF a person 酒量 and 酒品both not good, then the person better NOT drink to limit and then 现丑. Really unpleasant and embarassing.

Also drinking one to oblivion doesnt solve the problem though it is a convenient escape route. I am sure that everybody has problems, big and small, serious and trival. Nobody can completely understand another's problems and help cos you are just not that person, nor can one easily get into the head of another. There is the part about you taking some actions instead of feeling helpless or worrying. For me, I feel when I translate problems/stress into actions that can help solve the problem or at least do something about it, overall I feel better, even if it is not resolved.

K then next day, I woke up late around 9-10am and found I was the only one still sleeping in the room. I came out, and shortly my bro drove sisters and I out to city to run errands. My sister wanted to buy working clothes and I accompany them around. The thing about Malaysia is that boutiques are really littered amongst shops of others. Really have to walk all around just to find a boutique and inside sizes really small. Designs also quite not the same as Sg fashion sense. So in the end didnt buy clothes, though I did ate cup corn and a cheap cap.

Then my bro drove back to Segamat that evening. Our family had dinner at a nearby restaurant. Think too much 'good' food that when I came back to Sg, I had been eating veg and soupy stuff instead of rich food. Had a better sleep that evening. The next day we left around late noon.

I took some pics of ancestral home with my hp so that those places with memories, I can see them, cos I am not sure when is the next time I will go back. But it was good to see some closer relatives. I cant help but noticed they all look so much older. Then I realized that its been at least 5 years since I last saw them, also I myself am not getting any younger. So no wonder. Dont like this growing old thingy, especially when one is single still.

I was surprised that all of the relatives who spoke to me knew I was an Educator. Some asked for update. Told them quitted and then still educator though in a different sense.

Maybe, just maybe, might consider next CNY.
______________________________________

Sand Spa

Yesterday, I got a late sms from Tab about meeting up with the rest for bridal studio hopping. I was on my way to driving. And after driving, I intended to run at least 2-3 errands. So I sms her that I still had to do errand and stuff, would contact when I arrive.

So driving, 2nd session at parallel parking then learn reverse parking. Quite a handful cos is new system without poles. Also did circuit and slope. Need more practice for slope and parking still. I actually am trying to get a test date booked but I saw all are weekday, off peak hours. So cannot. I looked at system and April no driving slots. Then booked a whole chunk for May and into June. Had to top up $700 at a go to ensure I had enough to book for lessons into May, June, catch up some last minute slots in April and also book for TEST. Very ouch.

My errands to run after included returning whole bunch of library books, fetching my watch from repair and fetching my photos. The problem is the location. To return library books, had to go to any national library, Bugis, Jurong Point, Jurong East, Bukit Batok. Photos in Clementi. Watch in Holland Village. So got on MRT in Bukit Gombak after driving. Headed to Bukit Batok to return and borrow a couple. Then called watch to see if ready, its not. So took MRT to Clementi to collect photos. Then MRT down to Tanjong Pagar. At clementi, I ate a bread cos no lunch. I did eat Mee Pok in the morning. Arrived there, was kinda low in energy and 精神。 Had a refuelling at Subway and then my irritation metre went down.

So I agree, a hungry man, is an angry man. Especially for me, trying to manage my stomach and trying very hard to eat regular meals.

In the end, skipped Jap (sumimasen sensei) and we went shopping for working clothes. We got way-laid by a lady who got us to sample her Sand Spa. I remembered I was busy planting Zombies and Carrots with my I-touch and Quet and Tab were giving me the eye whites at playing a lame game. We got our hands scrubbed and it really felt smoother. After that and going through the mud and moisturizer and facial scrub. I came away with a Facial scrub and a Body scrub for $100 after the deal. Actually I think it is a good deal cos you dont have to scrub everyday, its like once to twice a week at most. Also the swim has tanned my skin alot, should do something for it. The facial scrub tester sample did make one of my wrist smoother than the other. So I bought it. Cos I bought and still have mositurizer so see how about the moisturizer.

Then the lady asked about nails. She showed a whole set to file ur nail, shine it, cutlise oil and hand cream. She did the shine thingy for me and woah, my ring nail was so shiny after. Cos for me, I dont do nails, so of course not as unhealthy nails which need this type of maintence. BUT I must say, that is the shinest nail I had ever seen. Plus its natural, just rubbing off the dead layers? Much like the skin scrub. Think that it is a good set for those who do nail jobs.

So I must say that the sales lady is very very good. She knows her stuff, knows how to talk, knows what sort of distance to keep, yet very effective persuasion. Sounds enthusiastic too. I remembered my I-touch later on and my carrots had wilted cos I left it too long. We spent about 45mins there at the booth. She also did cross-selling and also prospecting and hence the whole nail set.

To qualify. After I reached home yesterday, I tried the facial scrub and the face felt very smooth after. Then put moisturizer on. Hopefully absorption better. More youthful skin, less wrinkles?

Today after a good workout, I reached home and tried the Body scrub, my skin feels very smooth after that. I think its worth it for just a $100.

We did continue on and I bought another jacket thingy for $40. I think so far I hadnt really overspent except on the DRIVING side.

Oh well, back to monitoring my expenses, diet, exercise, stocks. Today went to the gym and had a good and hard workout. Felt great after that though sleepy. After the body scrub, felt very clean that I just wanna sleep now. But still tidied tabletop a bit more, got a letter to post. Then that's about it.

No comments: