Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Existentialism at a diet-level

I was telling my lunch buddy collegue how I had "sinned" by eating this Chao Da Ji Pa (giant fried chicken cutlet) with 4 slices of bread for dinner yesterday. I reached home near 5.45pm and was already starving. Though in my usual schedule, I would rest at home a bit and then head to the gym. But this time, really could feel the emptiness of the 'fuel-tank', so decided to eat and then after 2hr rest, go for gym. Yet my mom wouldnt have finished cooking by then, so left outside food.

I was aiming for mee siam but the Musilim stalls were both closed for their Hari Raya celebrations still. So I walked one round around the hawker centre. There were only 2 types of food in general. Either unhealthy eg chicken rice, duck rice, fried carrot cake, fried kuay tiao, western food OR soupy like yong tau hu, yellow mee...

Err in the end I decided to buy something that I would only get a chance to eat whenever a pasar malam (night market) opens in my area. So end up buying a Huge Cripsy Chicken Cutlet and fried sweet potatoe sticks. I also bought a can of Coke Zero. When I reached home. I happily ate the cutlet. Then my mom told me not to eat these much fried stuff often. So I ate it with bread so that it would be my dinner and I wont be eating again another 'dinner' later on. Watching the recorded cable tv shows, I ate the cutlet with bread. It taste very fantastic and satisfying. Really I didnt want to eat soupy again cos that's what I had for lunch. Yet a bit sick of takeout chinese rice (Zar Fan) Then when I almost finished the whole thing, then I realized I better stop, cos I had eaten 4 slices of bread by then. Ops... My sister enjoyed eating her dinner by finishing up the remainder of the cutlet. She said that fried stuff (meat) can really make a meal satisfying cos dinner dishes last night was kinda plain.

So when I told my collegue about this, she said that I should have burnt the Food Diary. Cos before I started this food diary, my eating was rather regular, I dont eat so much for dinner. Maybe cos of such long abstinence, my body rebelled and then go crazy over the indulgences...

That sounds true but I feel partly is also part of getting back to work. Cos I ate rather normally in the holidays. Then body have to revert back to working hours and assignment after work, type of eating. I feel its still adjusting. How else do I explain that by 11.40am yesterday I was so starving for lunch though I ate 2 slices of bread with bak kuah for breakfast at 7.15am.

So the existentialism aspect is whether the existence of the food diary is causing me to be more aware of the food, make adjustment and yet is the one causing such lapses. So without it, such rebellion wont exsist. Is it the direct cause or is just the cause existed before it?

No comments: