Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mee Siam but disappointing, finally some weight loss

Today on a Saturday, I went over to the coffeeshop next door and ordered a Mee Siam. But its chinese-style one. Ordered a teh-o ice instead of with milk. It helps to half the calories from the drink. Its not as satisfying as the malay-style one. That one would have to wait until another day. Didnt drink the gravy cos wasnt that good. Also bought breakfast and lunch for family. I am having ZCP for lunch - chilli sting ray, pumpkin and beansprout.

Well I've weighed myself this morning and have dropped 2kg unknowingly.  Wow, that's great cos I havent been exercising much at home. Just 3-4 times of conditioning so far, 1 set of push-up, crunches, leg lifts, dips. That's all. I havent started on the Kettlebell cos I am monitoring my left wrist. Sprained it before so want to make sure its strong enough first cos I've stopped exercising for a while. Doing some simple conditioning to strengthen first. Then will start when it's ready. I hope to reach the very difficult-to-reach target of  65kg soon with my continued efforts.

So this weight loss is mainly attributed to the calorie-counting and the food choices. I am not starving myself. I eat 3 meals sometimes with a snack or two (chocolate, crackers, even a beer or cider.) I try to limit the portions sometimes and only eat on days I have lowered calories. Just try to make sure I dont exceed my daily calories. As long as I do that, my weight shouldnt increase but remain the same. Then to lose some, would have to either 1) use up more calories through exercise or 2) get some deficit. Deficit is hard man, in fact sometimes I think, its easier to exercise. Except I am so mentally tired and hungry after work to drag my ass to the gym. Hence the buying of the sports equipment. I can eat dinner, rest for 2 hours and do some short conditioning exercises in less than 10minutes.

Now I am lowering my daily calorie intake to match my current weight. Now is 1750 calories. A 70kg woman's daily calorie is 1783. That means if you eat that daily, your weight stays the same. If your weight drops to a lower level, the daily calories required also drop, otherwise you will go back to it. It'll be a challenge to keep to this lowered figure. But these things really take some time and patience, that I've come to realize.

From last weekend's indulgences, so obliterated my negative, this week, I have been slowly re-building up my negative. Hope to end May with an overall negative to off-set against the high positive from Feb, March and April. I do eat 'high calorie' food for lunch eg chicken rice but dinner would be plainer. But besides the calories, I am trying to make some changes to my food choice cos of my higher LDL levels. So I have to be conscious of the fat contents. Sometimes the calories balanced but the fat intake is way higher than the daily recommended. This is also not good for the heart. Hence I am being more selective on both fronts. Also make sure I eat a variety of vegetables and meat so I dont end up with mal-nutrition.

There's some lifestyle changes I am doing and succeeded so far, find myself going for kopi-o drink instead of kopi for the few times I ordered coffee for lunch. Am still trying to keep off coffee by drinking water, coke zero and oolong tea. Have managed to cut down my Coke Zero from 2 cans everyday to just 1 can every 1-2 days. The rest is drinking tonnes of oolong tea. Will try to switch to less tea and more plain water. So far I have been eating the same breakfast daily for 5.5 weeks, on workdays. I eat 2 bars of Weet-Bix with a pack of low-fat milk. Simple affair that I can finish in 5-10mins. Then I wont be snacking cos of hunger. Sometimes the mouth just feels kinda plain, a fruit helps, sometimes a dark choc helps, sometimes fried crackers but with portion control. I diligently key in the food into the IDAT app and checking online.

I think indulgences can be there but there is a limit, the daily calorie is the guiding limit. Some self-control and conscious choice is necessary. Otherwise cannot complain when weight goes up and dont come down. That's what I've come to realize after all these while. Everything is about Balance.

No comments: