Friday, December 31, 2010

Thoughts about 2010 and Resolutions 2011

On the whole, 2010 has been a positive year for me.

Looking back at the entries in Dec 2009, I was unemployed then. Feeling a bit lost and hoping for better tidings. Partly anxious about jobless status, partly getting rubbish offers. Things change for the positive. By Feb, I had made enough money from the stock market to cover the 'salary' for the first 3 months. I was working flexi at FH's office. Then in April, I started working full time again. Though it was a pay-cut, it was the best offer with the extra perk of being close to home, hence drastically cutting down travelling time. Plus the working hours, though longer than previously, saw me out of the house after the sun has risen and knocking off when the sun is still in the sky. Work wasnt so much that I couldnt leave on time. In fact, sometimes too much hours that I go look to make more resources, and even started baking, got along well with collegues that I can get a few perks here and there. Though there are some bumps along the way. I guess no workplace is perfect. So looking back now, I've come to realize that I can count myself lucky.

On the stock investment front, with some trading; I end off this year with SGD$15k positive. This time only hitting my 2nd investment target. My cpf is about $9k gains also though I cant draw out. I shall endeavor to continue to aim for $30k annual target for cash portfolio to keep growing my money with money, instead of my labour. There were some mistakes made during buying and selling but overall since I am still positive, its good enough for me.

Health is something we often take for granted. Seeing how illness can strike suddenly makes me more appreciative of good health. I shall have to jump-start the exercise routine again as I've completely stopped for a month since the second bout of flu. Its time to manage my health through actions instead of words.

Family and friends are important and will continue to be very dear in my heart. I shall try not to let them bear the brunt of my anger nor neglect them.

In the area of personal pursuits; I've finally gotten an electric guitar and am starting to learn. Though its just the beginning but its a start. I do really need to practice acoustic more cos I've neglected it alot due to busy schedule and excuse of laziness. Just need to make myself practice as regularly for both. Then next year then I shall continue driving practical and test :(]

In the area of personality and way of thinking, I found that I am still changing. A person cant change overnight unless its a near-death aka life-changing experience. So for normal people, it takes time to change. I've been clearing up and throwing stuff from my room and really took time to sort through all those stuff accumulated as an educator. I threw out alot, gave away alot too. Its like letting go of that part of your life and continuing onto the next chapter. Not that I dont miss parts of it, but the fact that I am a more different person so that was part of my history, not my present nor future. At least that's what struck me when I remember that part of my life. I want to become the type who can live in the present, not the past nor the future. I want to live in the moment so that there are no regrets.

With these thoughts, I believe I have the resolutions for 2011 - I want to continue those that I've started and enjoy the journey, not just be blinded by the destination.

No comments: