Thursday, October 21, 2010

Admin work suddenly drop on my lap

This is a bit of work grouse. It just happened out of the blue, after everything has ended. Like after the event and just before cca.

I was doing up one of the activity for a collegue's lesson, when A told me she was told by B to tell me that I should continue this ALT spreadsheet that he was doing. Basically the collegues have no idea which class we would be going into. Initially in the earlier days, I did it by counting manually and writing it down in my teacher book, which I still do for my Sec 3 slots. Then I would inform them. Then out of the blue, B decided to do for the Sec 1 level. He clustered certain classes together such that I was with each teacher for a cluster of 4 lessons.

BUT when now you are asking me to take over suddenly. And I opened up the excel format, its too complicated. There's like monitoring every class for the Sec 1 is at the nth lesson, then choose to cluster the classes that are having the same nth lesson. Basically the story is its toooooo taxing to manually do it, unless there was a system that is used. So I would have to ask it from the horse's mouth tomorrow.

IF there is no system to aid this, I would just make it simple and easy for me. I would make my own format. I see NO reason why I should continue this taxing format when the whole aim about this is to inform all the rest earlier when exactly we are going in for the lessons. Plus I would have to print and put on relevant teacher's tables weekly.

It puts a sore taste in my mouth. Partly was that I was initially doing it manually and counting it originally. THEN you decided to take it over. Now after 1.5 terms, you decided to 'give' it back to me to do instead. You left behind this complex excel spreadsheet and obviously I am not going to follow if its so inconvenient for me to update and make a weekly update. I dont mind doing this cos its just a simple job of counting and writing down which class we are going into, except it can be done via excel for the benefit of others. BUT giving it back to me in the mid of the term... I think since you wanted to do it, then continue lor. Duh!

So tomorrow I am going to ask B about the existence of a system. If not, I would do it my way. The easy, fast and most effortless way. My excel skills are considered good, but its not for me to use it to follow your complex table for something so trival. I rather use it on other things, like my stocks and savings.

This left me sore though generally today was a pretty good day. I was looking forward to the end of the day after cca. But being told this out of the blue by a collegue who was only helping to relay a message cos the collegue wasnt around, kinda spoils the mood. After cca, which also left me frowning a bit cos of the level of skill... but nevermind. I went back to my seat and finished up by writing up two big tongue twisters. Then that finished my work. Walked up to the cooking room and chatted with collegue and complaining about the sudden piece of admin work. And she told me that they actually have a system they use for timetabling. So I would ask B instead. Actually B is a good guy, he is dilligent and he actually do up all the activities, so I just carry out in class. So there might be a miscom. I would clarify. Felt better after that.

Let me think about how to do ice-cream proto-typing or work on the next recipe, cheese cake.

No comments: