Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Time and Effort Dilemma

Last night I was typing this very long passage about the above dilemna but lost it when I tried to post it. Here's a repost.

The time and effort dilemma exist for everybody. It manifests very acutely at work. On a 2x2 matrix, there is the 4 matrixes,

more time, less effort               more time, more effort

less time, less effort                 less time, more effort

For most of us, we are paid a salary for putting in effort and time at work. If one could put in lesser time and lesser effort and yet be paid the same, it would bring about more satisfaction. Cos we would perceive that we are getting a better deal. Then how to bring about putting in less time and effort. This comes about by being efficient. It would mean having to commit lesser hours and lesser effort to the job. Methods of efficiency differs, be it a systematic one or it could be personal eg priortise tasks, a to-do list, breaking task down into small steps and doing, filing and doing things a bit at a time. There are many of these little things one can do to 'help yourself'. So consequentially we end up with spending lesser time and effort. Though pay didnt increase, its being paid the same for less. Job satisifaction increase of sorts.

My previous job at MOE had me working at the more time, more effort matrix. Though my salary was higher, everything else is more. I value my personal time but had to put in long hours and working intensely. Couldnt continue on with that type infinitely. Job satisfaction was low cos I felt salary-wise, doesnt compensate me enough for all that I am doing. Decided I need a rest from burning out.

My current job meant I had to take a pay-cut. Its quite a bit of paycut of several hundred dollars and also less bonus. Only 1 month compared to the previous of at least 2-2.5 months. The trade-off is the lesser effort involved. The hours are longer but still end earlier enough in the day, like office hours. Also I have free time in the working hours unlike previously. So there is some satisfaction from just the pure effort-time matrix. But the whole matrix shifts to the left due to the lowered salary.

I decided to expend some time and effort outside of work to derive added income. It meant I had to put in extra hours and effort thrice weekly. It wasnt easy at all. Could feel the fatique and tiredness. But bo bian, its my decision to do it to make the extra money. Whether one is able to put in extra time and effort depends partly on your job, whether there are available hours and also personally, whether you can and will make the time. Definitely money wont drop in the lap without some exchange of time and effort. There's no free or easy lunch.

Luckily for me, I have my investments, which helps me generate some extra income. I had to put in some extra time and effort to monitor them daily, make decisions daily. But I dont take any short-cuts. Its not really possible to realize gains if I just take the so-called easy way of "listening to what other people say and tell me". I do my own research and make my own decisions. I want to make gains NOT lose my capital. So just meant more time and effort.

With the 3 income streams, I actually almost matched my previous Nett salary. Definitely not able to match the Gross salary yet. The rest depends on the stock market. Whether I can sell off and realize the profits. Though at times I ask myself, why is it that I had to do 3 of these just so I could match my previous income? Why not just stick to one and enjoy the same income level. The matter of fact is that I dont think I could continue on at my previous job. Its too much time and effort that left me in a perpetual zombie mode, grumpy and dissatisfied. At least though  I needed 3 income just to match, but overall I am happier in a sense. I dont really think I would be able to manage my investments along side the job.

But as fatique catches up with me from the extra time and effort, I do find myself wishing for my job to pay more, so I dont have to do the assignments. Next year, I might just be doing one instead of current two. It meant halving the income. I could try to live with lowered income of sort. Even with investments, investment gains realised are never certain. Depends on market conditions. So if my main stable job gives me more, can reduce the time and effort on others.

Its the same dilemma for other stuff. Things like exercising, learning a course, learning an instrument, going out. All of them requires extra time and effort. It seems the only things that dont really requires that are watching tv and sleeping. That's why many of us do it mostly on weekends. There's still time but really much much less effort. Just too bad those 2 activities dont pay us monetarily. Also they dont count for anything when looking back at one's life. There's no sense of accomplishment nor is there any skills gathered. Furthermore doing these meant clashing with work - time and effort. All these whittle down personal time.

I have quite a bit on my plate and something gave. I gave up tv and gaming. I only watch tv on weekends and its only to watch recorded cable tv shows at one go. Then I havent gamed on my PS2 in years. Even my PSP is neglected. On public transport, I find myself listening to mp3 more than playing games.

To sum it all up, at least for me. " The worthwhile things are the ones that requires time and effort." No free lunch, easy way out. Sometimes the 'easiest way' is just to start something in small steps and continue and persisting. Doing a bit a day, meant accumulation starts. Over time surely there is something more tangible at the end. Yet due to time-energy constraints, its best to do a few things that one can manage, then priortise and do. A schedule helps. Surely at times, some lapses here and there but overall still a more positive picture.

I have work stuff to do during work hours. I am having more and more to do but I try to clear them during work hours, not bring back home. I still have the holiday work syndrome. Easier to segregate work and personal life this way. At work I file my stuff and clear things as quickly as I can. Trying to work smart so that I can enjoy the free time to do other stuff.

Though now, my weekdays are finally freed up. Glad for the lax. Need to rest my tired and a bit sickly body. On the weekly agenda includes - exercise 2 times, practice guitar, monitor stocks and rest.

No comments: