Saturday, October 09, 2010

An Epiphany from peeling and eating sweet potatoes...?

It was a simple act. Peel some Jap sweet potatoes infront of the laptop. I suddenly got an epiphany (sudden realisation) about one aspect of myself.

It was a hot and boring afternoon. I was debating whether to go for gym or even head out while seated infront of the laptop. Then my mom came over with a small plate with 3 jap sweet potatoes.

To be honest, I am NOT a fan of the jap species cos they are so miserably thin and its not easy to peel them. I prefer the bigger species of sweet potatoes that taste sweeter too. So I started peeling grudgingly cos as each was very thin, it meant, I have to peel quite a lot of skin off for a relatively little bit of potatoe. It also meant, I have to wait quite a long while to finish peeling off all the skin before I could get a few mouthful. That was all my past experience.

Then after putting the small plate of jap sweet potatoes, I made a face and asked my mom how she eats it. She just breaks off a small stick, about 1 inch. Then breaks into half. Peel off the skin and eats. I tried that for the first time but realized I wasnt happy with it, mainly cos it meant I have to peel some, eat some, then go back to peeling.

Which wasnt what I usually do. I would peel off almost all the skin at a go and then enjoy the fruit of the labour. It hit me then. Why I didnt enjoy eating this. Its cos I couldnt do the "Sian Ku Hou Tian" (hard work first then enjoy) which is the way I usually do. This time round, I have to "do some work, enjoy the fruit" and continue again. I realized that I should be able to do some work, enjoy part of it before repeating.

Why so hung up about having to do all the work in a go, then enjoy everything later. A bit too depriving at times. So I settled for peeling parts of the not-so-tasty-and-thin-Jap-sweet-potatoes and then eating, then going back to peeling and eating another part. Its not the way I would have liked to approach but the other approach is okay with the current me.

Actually this is the first time, I actually did this half work, half enjoy thingy. Not that I dont do this at work. But I realize that even at work, I rather finish all the work first before I play. This reminds me that I am and can be more flexible with the way I approach some of the stuff in my life.

Wow all these from just eating sweet potatoes in a hot and lazy afternoon.

No comments: