Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sickly week n weekend

Think there's some flu bug going around and I caught it around Monday evening. Maybe it's the haze the week before. But by tuesday evening, was alternating between normal n lousy throughtout the day. But as it was the last session of assignment just before exam, I took a 15min nap and felt better to make my way down.

Wednesday was slightly better, thought I was recovering. Tried to sleep earlier. By Thursday, I felt quite zonked out by late afternoon. Had a headache developing, more zombified. Went to see doc in the evening but declined taking mc.

Friday, I started being quite okay, thanks to medication n rest. But after 4th, where again my temper meter went up cos collegue 'ask me stupid stuff' and can't tell me what she want clearly, felt worn out. Decided not to think or do anything besides finish off what's on hand.

As I had agreed two weeks earlier to attend another level's monthly party. Somrhing like show them face once since they tried to invite me twice already... But that meant $66... I chose to drink cos I know that San Migel draught beer would be free-flow for 2 hrs. Cos if not drinking, got to pay $55 for generally lousy n cheap food. It's like the non-drinkers subsidize the drinkers. So after doing some math, $10 for food. Left $56 which translates to 7 mugs of beer. In general, a mug of draught beer can cost $9-11.

I had to wait around at workplace cos though I knock off at 5pm, it was slated for 7pm. I killed time by hanging around the kitchen, watching n chatting with a collegue while she bakes her cakes. My flu flared up some. I was very stoned. Brain really shut down though I am still functional plysically. Then around 6.45pm, I went down to my work station and found almost everybody gone... I realized they had mostly left together so I walked over there by myself. The pub is very near to Clementi stadium. I could see them walking about 100m ahead of me. So while walking, I kept asking myself WHY the hell I ever opened my mouth to agree. Cos literally feel like shit, plus extended my day of sort, cos this whole week, I tio about 10hrs of computer lab duty which actually eats into my free periods. Also though I could surf the net, just need to keep an eye on that few students, I couldn't do anything too productive. That's why this entire week seem so long. Like never-ending.

Anyway I reached there and sat at an empty seat right smack in the middle of guys. They also seem to follow this 'rigid' way of ladies one side, guys one side. I just sat where it's not too unpleasant for me, cos actually this whole week, the 2 new female collegues have been pushing my "irritation button" by either asking me really stupid stuff or using extremely vague and strange English to sort of 'tell' me what they wNt me to do in their classes when I go into theirs. But dunno why, though they actually stay n work in Eng-speaking countries, when they work here, suddenly their English regresses so much until I can't make out what is it they are trying to tell me in the vague, round-about manner. I literally have to be a psychic to guess out what they want... AND that really irks me. My temper wasn't so good especially when I am unwell already. Then asking or telling such 'stupid' things really drives me nuts. I snap at them the few times they did so. So I decided not to sit near the two ladies to give myself time out n also not to have to spoil anything by snapping when they unknowingly push my "buttton". Think that was the best choice of the day.

Dinner food wasn't fantastic. Fried rice, smoked duck breast like the one I bought from seng siong, potatoe wedges, a tray of assorted fried dumplings, fish cake. IF I had to pay $55 for this, I would be grossly overpaying. Hence that's why I decided to drink. To help with the calories, I had lor mee n coffee in the morning, Plain pork porridge for lunch.

I dug in and for the first time, eat dinner with beer. I don't eat dinner while drinking, maybe for liquor but not for beer. Also usually alcoholic drinks come after dinner. Then had some conversations here n there. Mostly collegues ask about why I become teacher, quit teaching, ask about family. Cos these are not so personal topics, so I just tell them frankly. Though I did ask them about similar stuff.

When they wanted to refill my partially drunk beer, I told them I would after I've drunk more cos I wanna keep count, to know and test my limit. The Aussie collegues were quite chatty and funny at times. But I've realized, for all thr insistence on getting free flow of beer, they don't really drink that much. As in, they don't hi the value they are paying. Plus its obvious they are ripped off cos they don't let us locals or Aussies help negotiate n plan such parties. There are so many fantastic deals a budget of $70 can fetch yet they just settle
for such. Leaves us sighing at times. Think it would be much cheaper just to order ala-carte n happy hour. Still pay much lesser.

After it ended, I've finished 6-7 mugs of draught beer in the 2 hrs of free flow. So got my money's worth. I was tipsy but can still think, walk in straight line, no spinning world. Can feel the alcohol but not as strong as other times when I drank alot of spirits or Martinis. Walked home after and reached home in 10minutes. It was unexpectedly more enjoyable than some ofthe other parties I've been to, think it's cos I've talked more, the beer tastes good too plus I got the value for it - for a change. Whether I would go for another, mostly no unless it's a value proposition.

I reached home and drank 2 cups of water n was too full to drink the soup my mom made. Then I changed and slept. With the amount of alcohol, I had a good night's sleep. Slept through until I woke up naturally at 8.30am!

Was feeling okay, went over to buy breakfast but after that, felt sickly. Like the flu flaring up. Ate meds and rested until guitar. But after guitar, flu flared up again. I thought of killing time by watching a movie. After lunch at PO-MO, I actually walked over to the Cathay. But headache starting up and alternating light-headedness n heavy-headedness. Decided to go home instead.

Reached home, ate meds and lie in bed. My mind is alert and can't fall asleep but kept sweating. My mom said I dragged on too long, didn't let body rest enough. It's a pity I can't head out or stay out longer. Will miss the Halloween signts n dinner but really don't think I would want to wear the same outfit even if I am not sick.

Would just want a simple meal to catch up but not have to 'kill' so many hours waiting for the meal. Maybe cos I want my weekends to last longer, so I prefer to be out more in the rapier afternoon. More hours to do things before dinner.

If I am at home, just meet for dinner, I also find that it shortens time. Cos I can't make any plans inbetween dinner time. Rather meet for lunch or around tea time. Still have time to do other stuff then wait until dinner and after dinner to walk around.

Then if I am already out, it's even worst. Got so many hours to kill. At least 4-5hrs in town, alone. What is there to do, that would interest n occupy me for that long? It's very difficult in my normal physical state. Can't go gym cos no public ones that near. Go home and come out again is a very time-wasting and tiring thing. Spend 1hr to go back then shortly have to travel 1hr out again. I won't make it out of the house, too much effort. Shopping doent occupy nor interest me much. I don't like to browse too long hours at bookshop nor can I read properly in a cafe. I don't see the merits of sitting at a cafe to just play I-touch or people watch for 4hrs. Nor just settling for a movie to while away time. I would rather have the time to either rest, exercise at gym or practice guitar. All which requiresme to be at my area. Though I make the effort to come out. Having to while away several hours alone, doing things that don't really appeal to me, is q waste of time, effort n by the time, I am mentally n physically tired cos doing all those is taxing.

A Sat is a precious day. Make full use of the morning, afternoon and evening hours to do something useful, relaxing n enjoyable. Not wait until evening to start. From 7pm until 10pm, it's just 3 hrs before everywhere is closing. Then really nothing much to do except eating or drinking. A bit more then it's midnight, and it's over. I wanna stretch it out by enjoying the morning with breakfast, free n easy hours until it's time for guitar. Though I sometimeswinder why I put so much effort to go down for it but after it, there's many more hours to do things before evening arrives. On days, I can even go gym by 5pm-6pm and finsih by 7-8pm. Still have a few hours to watch tv, read manga, relax before it's time to sleep. That's an ideal.

No comments: