Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Ambiguity to the maximum

With the fact that though I spoke with the P earlier last week, there was no questions asked about MY terms at all. So after hearing the thing about no lunching out. I was rather blue. Its really stiffling to be at the workplace from morn til late afternoon.

So after talking through with another local collegue, I decided to pen down what are my areas of concern. I actually asked our acting head, Headless (with whom working relations is improving cos I tried harder to control myself and she also stepped up a bit more) about these concerns. Being new herself, she said that I should speak with the P again, with her helping to translate. So unlike other dept where another local collegue could get her head to help clarify things, ours cant. No fault of hers really cos she's new too.

I already finished drafting out the areas of concern in a letter already. Just that it appears long cos I actually spelt out in writing the reasons for the concerns. I would have to show her my letter first, give her some time to look through, then find the P free and talk again. I dont think I would be inspired nor motivated if some area of compromise and clarification is not done about this.

While talking through the concerns to headless, and hearing some of the things she said, be it her opinion or just reliterating the P's earlier words. Some of them sounded kinda hollow. Not sure if its the translation aspect of it. I would attribute it to cultural difference and expectations.

We had tried earlier to get them to clarify the work scope cos from the start until now, nothing is said. Then there is this consensus of sort that they felt we had different treatment from them, how they wanted to cooperate more with us etc etc. If nothing is clarified, to what extent can we say we have or have not fulfilled the terms of the contract or how we performed? Though mine is overall very positive, but these area of concerns can better help me be motivated and focused at work. Instead of living in ambiguity. Some amount of ambiguity is fine but if everything is ambiguious, like whether I am supposed to be involved in stuff, the level of involvement...

Judging from things, I wont be able to travel in early April period with all these ambiguities. All travelling to be done from 17th March onwards until 31st March.

No comments: