Friday, February 25, 2011

Walao kena sabo lor

When I showed an lesson that I have prepared as a gp activity to Headless cos think it would be good change from the reading and writing we've been doing. It's those survival where u got to decide which items to choose n why.

Think she got inspired and chose to do something like that for the entire S3 level classes. But she planned it to be 2 lessons, yet only prepared 2 ws. One is survival questions with options, individual, then group consensus. One entire list of vocabulary words that are generated from the questions itself. Lastly is reflection sheet. She roped in the other Immersion teachers and got them to teach Day 1. I was told to follow up in Day 2... Though I still had to go in as assisting though I had no idea what was my role n what to do to assist...

The Immersion teachers had a pretty uneasy time going through either the scenario to explain the situation n or vocabulary... Didn't help that it's almost the end of the school year so they don't have the heart to continue. Plus when it's completely beyond some of their capacity in terms of the vocal, it became draggy n some shut off. So the Imm teachers tried humor, drawing, actions n mimic, sounds to make it interesting.

Today is my turn to continue where they left off... The group discussion to get their consensus and then gettin them to say their reasons in English. Super tough but I hear some English when I walked around and question the gp for their reason for choosing a certain answer.

After the answers were given n explained. I went into a 'Survival Pop Quiz' and some boys perked up. Given doomsday scenario, what to do in a given situation? After abt 6-7 scenarios, saw that they were tiring of it, went to the reflections. A bit over-stretch the timing, so they didnt finish the peer evaluation. Did write a note on the board for them to finish evaluating each other today n do the other at home.

I breathe a sigh after that. It's quite stressful cos I am kept on the edge due to the limited aspect of this. First off, the gp discussion is not that well facilitated. It did drag out a bit but still quite successful cos with exception of some boys, they did arrive at answers and reasons in English. But just that time stretched out. Actually it's hard on the teacher because we have absolutely no idea what is the purpose n goals of the lesson? Or is it just something to 'fill-time' cos the J-english can't get the class to do work, so "throw" at us as a sort of filler plus experimentation on next year's lessons? Cos ther's a plan to put us all into their English lessons. I will be entirely solo all the way... If this is a pre-cursor of things to come... I have reasons to be very worried of being over-worked.

Best part... I still have another of this survival lesson part 2 with another class in/ hours time... I want to make it fun for them but with the constraits of the gp activity, I am forsaking the vocabulary, it's hard to satisfy everything n I am under quite a bit of tension n stress to make sure things proceed smoothly, with speaking n writing in Eng plus fun elements.

This is really poor planning of the lesson. Suddenly all the onus is thrown onto the teacher... With no additional resources, I had to make an extra print-out to provide the link to English n reasoning, make a set of pics which I printed to serve as visual cues, search the Internet for doomsday scenario to do an impromptu pop quiz to spice things up. Why do I have to do these? Cos no proper planning went into this. You can't just rake an idea and "Nah, do this"

No comments: