Saturday, April 04, 2009

Asking the Question

In another 10 more minutes, I'll be heading out to Quan Ying Temple to 'qiu qian' for a few questions, mainly and firstly is work-related.

Yesterday, I had mentioned in the earlier post that I had 'divested' from one of the counters, reason being I had too many counters. For cash portfolio, I had shares from 8 counters. Then as mentioned earlier, by spreading capital over too many counters, it results in fewer lots of shares in the main counter. Also took a bet on 2 counters, hoping to make a fast buck but instead got tied up. Hence the whole 'over-invested' period that resulted in HUGE opportunities forgone due to lack of capital.

Now market has shot up in 2 days running. Thursday I didnt sell, still waiting for prices to rise. Friday morning, I login to start 'divesting', though still at a gain of 16% gains. As mentioned, I havent finished selling off in 2 batches, then prices dipped before lunch. So having work, I keyed in 2 orders, to sell remaing batch of that counter, as well as sell off 1st batch of CapLand shares. Given that it had gone up quite a bit and gains has reached 28%.

This sale was influenced by my Dad. He practices selling off in batches, firstly to start realizing profits. His rationale is with money in the pocket, you have even more holding power to wait it out. Also if you hold all in the hand and keep waiting, waiting, its very hard to make the 'sell' decision. This is a strategy he mentioned, he read in a book by this famous guy "Zheng Yuan Cang", a famous taiwan self made multi-millionaire from trading shares using strategies. He published books about his strategies much like Warren Buffet. So my dad follows his style, much like my sister Yingel who follows Warren Buffet style.

Not bad, think if things go smoothly, maybe on track to hitting my investment target. But previous dilemna still exist. Still got paper profits, still quite significant but I am reluctant to sell off so quickly. Some havent hit my investment target, others I want to hang on and see how. The main difference now is that I have freed up capital trapped by the counter, plus the gains from the sale. So now I have the capital to look out for opportunities for re-investment. Even if this uptrend doesnt persist, I am able to buy-in in a down market. If it goes higher, then I can sell off. Not a bad position to be in.

So far with the exception of a loss of $69, the rest of the sell transactions have been at a gain. Hopefully these flows can cumulatively lead to target of $25k. Dividend season is coming in the upcoming May/June period. That could also add to gains, for dividend-bearing counters that have little gains. Cant wait to see how things play out. Think this is very much more exciting than work. The challenge, the decisions and judgement as well as the rewards.

No comments: