Thursday, July 29, 2010

1st failed try at Macarons / JET farewell dinner

Experimented with macarons on Wed, after students were dismissed and I've checked I have nothing else much to do. So headed up to the kitchen and started preparing the materials. Took me a while cos I put the egg whites in the chiller such that they became almost frozen....

So weighing materials and waiting for it to thaw took a while. Then started. Blend at high speed, then added in the almond flour. But as my collegue observed, I didnt beat the egg white stiff enough so the mixture is more watery. That gave me problems when piping onto the baking paper. It flowed around too much and couldnt hold the circular shape. So all became non-circular though they started out as circular.

Then the baking also had problems cos if they are put in the 2nd rack, they end up as caramelized biscuit textures. Only those in the 1st rack resembled the macarons but also the baking time doesnt seem to match up in those internet recipes...

All these just means I need to refine the steps and certain processes. The partial success comes from the making of the matcha filling for the cream. Followed the buttercream recipe and it tasted alright except I should have used unsalted butter. So can taste the butter cos can taste the saltiness of butter I guess. Threw some of the excess failure macarons and brought the rest home.

I just ate some with sister, Geoky. She says that it tasted like biscuits, which is in itself a failure, cos there are 2 types of macarons. One is more biscuit texture, the other is the common soft in centre, sandwich-type found all around. Err... hopefully tomorrow I can have a re-match.
________________________________

I was asked if I would be attending the JET dinner, I didnt turn down partly cos I skipped the last one. Also, can find out about the JET programme by speaking to ex-JET members. So I agreed and made changes to my normal schedule to accomodate the dinner timing due to clashes.

So thankfully the school sponsored the cab ride and we headed there. While travelling down, I kept yawning and almost dozed off. Its at that point, when fatique catches up that one regrets in a sense, agreeing to go for such events.

There I saw familar faces of the upcoming batch of JET who came to visit us just about 2-3 weeks ago. Remember being damn tired, partly cos that week quite a lot of activities in most of the classes I had to go into, partly bring them around and have to speak to them to elaborate and answer their questions. So was really stoned by that weekend.

Good luck to them heading to Japan this Sunday to start their 1 year contract over there. They are not going into cities but are mostly assigned to suburban towns... something like Muar or Segamat I guess from what I've gathered from talking with an ex-JET. Imagine, whole town quite small, the "Orchard Road" of Segamat is the sole department store type scenario. Something like that. Not that I cant adapt to that, but those city-dwellers / true-blue Singaporeans might not be able to manage.

So I've gathered some more info about the JET programme. I am unsure if to sign up for the next intake. Mainly because things are NOT as rosey NOR as easy as it seems.

One has to really put aside everything here, leave family, maybe come back once a year or even none at all in the duration.

Also, there's the issue of living alone in a suburban town. The whole issue of lonliness and how to pass time is there and its a pretty strong one. Hence really absence makes the heart fonder.

There's the whole thing about what to do after work. Cos if you live in a suburban town, picture Segamat, its pretty boring after a while. Plus not everywhere is wired perhaps only at schools. So stay longer hours to use internet. Perhaps really nothing much else to do after-work and more other issues, like dropping everything including employment, obligations, even things like telephone bills etc for a year or perhaps two.

Then coming back and having to start looking for a job again. From what I've heard, up to 90% of them become Teachers through joining moe after the programme. Well dont think I will be following in that.

I am comfortable in my new workplace and after speaking with the ex-JET, am glad to know that basically I am doing my job cos what I am doing now is what they are doing and I personally think I have done more in terms of the lesson delivery and also planning, even making of resources. Also just after 1 year of working, head over there and work 1-2 years, come back and look for job again... Unless of course, I have their blessing and also assurance that I can come back to this job again, which I dont mind.

Its not a simple "Just go" or "You should really go" because its me who'll be going through with it, living there daily. Not that it wont be exciting, eye-opening or good experience, its more of the "I have to make sure its 100% my own choice and decision in this matter", I dont want to be swayed to make a decision because those above issues, I will be the one living through it everyday. Its not a simple decision.

So I still have time to think more about it over the 1 month holiday. Let me focus on getting a rest.

No comments: