Sunday, July 04, 2010

Cosfest 2010 Day 1 only

This year, unlike the last time that I ever went down (which I just checked this blog and was 2005!!! OMFG that long ago?) was about to end with me going down alone all the way to the Eastern end to take a peep at the Cosfest 2010 event.

Due to having assignment, I was out of home very early. Then on my travel, my hp was already on half-bar, so after some radio, in the red zone. Conserved to use to sms Quetzal and Candle whom expressed interest in meeting up. I told them after guitar and lunch, I be heading down to Scape cos there seems to be some cosplay and J-rock concert happening, though I didnt know the iternary. So near 3.45pm, I arrived there and walked around Scape. It has turned into a mini-shopping centre with quite a number of youth orientated retailers. I explored a bit and took a few photos with my lousy phone camera which is only at 1MP. Anyway the supposed 'Cosplay' turned out to be a costume rental which had people dressing up as Tigger, Chicken Little, Kungfu Panda, Superman/woman, Xena... and even a Cai Shen....
I used my hp to zoom in from various levels of the Scape building cos the 'standard'  and types of costumes are really not what cosplay is about. So dont feel compelled to go closer for a closer look.































Really disappointing to see yet amusing. I went back inside Scape to enjoy a bit of the air-con and saw a whole bunch of Predators, about 4-5 of them... Yet I felt like rolling my eyes cos the Predators were all so short. At least 1 head or more shorter than me. How to look menacing?!?!? OMFG... rented Predators costumes to kids? *Rolls eyes* Then the J-rock concert would only happen at 9.30pm. So no way, I am going to stay until that late, cos those performers are not J-rock stars from Japan but local J-rock groups doing covers. Though I would like to listen but just too much time to kill. It has been almost 5 years since the only time I went for a Jrock concert by local bands near Hereen that time as an intern at ShittyBank with a JC friend.

Decided to head to East to check out Cosfest. Dunno the iternary for that either. Decided to kill time while waiting for Candle to travel down. That time-killing was really hard to do for me. Spent more than an hour, scouring through the entire Cold Storage, then walked through the Food Fair, even went into a Sport Goods shop before finally arrived. So hard to kill time for me without music especially. We headed down together and arrived at the Hall.

Outside the Hall were some cosplayers of rather high standard for the costumes. We entered the hall but not that many cosplayers mingling. That was near 7pm. Think quite a number left already. Luckily there was still one more thing happening on the stage. Its the individual skit cosplay with the 6 finalist and 3 would be selected for today's competition with the top 3 from malaysia, korea etc (Which I didnt go down cos really tired today from all the running around)

Yet Candle and I were fixated by this Nun cosplayer.

















I remember seeing this look before but cannot name which anime. Think I ever saw pics before. Anyway Candle asked me out of the blue if the Nun was a guy. I couldnt answer cos the back was facing to me. But damn, the Nun had slimmer legs and more femine shaping legs than I do...

So we walked off to the extreme side of the stage to get a better look. When the Nun turned around, *ARRRRRRGGGGGHHH* basically not good looking or what, and its a GUY. A guy in a blue nun's outfit called the Habit, stops several inches above knee cap, aka show thighs, plus wear long girly socks with ladies footwear. Also the Habit is short sleeves and ends with white looking cuffs. Both of us were like Sniggering and laughing... cos we remembered how FH wanted to dress like a Nun last Halloween. This is the 'Perfect' one. Tried and tested somemore.

So though the finalist were performing on stage, we were catching glimpses and being amused by the Nun and his tactics. Later the Nun volunteered for part of the love spell cast by one of the finalist. I pity the guy who is paired with 'him'. We laughed even more. Guess he's the whole highlight of Cosfest 2010 for us.  Quetzal came later and also saw the Nun.

The final pose by all the various winning teams of the different categories, some winners had gone home already. A pity.





















My lousy low resolution hp camera doesnt do justice to their beautiful costumes. Also the stage lighting plus our position at the extreme left of the stage makes it hard to take a good shot. No wonder there were tonnes of guys using damn powerful cameras with long zooms to take pics. Guess Candle and I are not Otaku enough.



















A pity didnt get to see more cosplayers but at least didnt miss everything. Too bad, the distance and also the lack of info about the iternary of Sunday's grandfinal and fatique from all the running around from Mon-Sat meant I am very tired on Sunday and would like to hide at home to rest up. Next year's one, I shall make a effort to go there earlier just like that one in 2005. OMFG, I better try to make it an annual thing. At least it can be a sort of a highlight and interesting thing done in a year.

PS> Last year or the one before, my sister actually went for one of the Cosfest. She mentioned that I should have gone cos they invited one very famous cosplayer from Japan, who is literally Cloud Strife in person, but she did tell me that he mentioned that he had very little self confidence and was very otaku until he started cosplaying. Got more confidence and made more friends. I believe he is Kaname. I just searched and found his pics and stuff.

Really not all can reach this type of standard. Only one word "Wow".

No comments: