Monday, July 12, 2010

Alcoholic Tiramisu - Kahlur and Caramel Baileys

I actually made it for the first time on Sunday but due to posting up a post about alcoholic konyaku, decided to wait for Monday then post.

I will put up the Youtube video that I followed later cos that's at work computer or unless I can find it later and post near the end.

Started off with 250g mascapone cheese, 300g cream, 3 egg yolks with 3 tbs of sugar and 1 tps of vanilla essence for the cream.

1 pack of lady's fingers (wafer like) and a big cup of strong coffee with 3tbs of sugar added. Then I added in 4 tbs of Kahlur and 4tbs of Caramel Baileys.

In the first mixing bowl. the egg yolks are whisked and the bowl is put over a pot of boiling water to cook it but not result in scramble eggs. So whisk quickly and until the yolks change colour to a golden yellow and sugar melted. Remove from heat. Add mascapone cheese and whisk mixture until smooth.

In second mixing bowl, use an electric beater to whisk the cream until it is half-whipped, with soft peaks (baking terms) Then combine add into the mixture in first mixing bowl. Whisk them all throughly and the 'cream' is done.
Pic of completed cream with the 2 main leads in the next part

















Strong large cup of coffee with 8tbs of alcohol added. Then dip the lady's fingers very quickly in, turning both sides to coat and line the container.
Then the first layer of coated lady's fingers is covered by half of the cream. Even out the surface of the cream.


















Then sprinkle a layer of cocoa powder over it.

Repeat with a lining of second layer and cream, followed by a generous sprinkling of cocoa powder.

The finished product! Traditional style Tiramisu

The cost of making is about $31 to make 2 times the amount seen above. Each tin can cut into 12 thick slices. Its very soft and not overly sweet. Think the sweetened coffee soaked lady's fingers complements the creaminess of the cheese cream. Even I am surprised by the taste when I tried some for the first time.

In a desperate bid to clear the batches of alcoholic Konyaku and Tiramisu, I decided to msg Tab and asked if she would be at home. Then I would sacrifice my Mon gym routine day and head to her place to pass her a batch of konyaku jellies and half of my tiramisu. So cos I would be busy with assignment and work dinner until Fri, so it meant cant expect to let them sit so long in the fridge. I brought the non-alcoholic konyaku to workplace and it was being devoured by grateful collegues (cos I took it out chilled from the fridge after students dismissal) so that's the time when all of them heave a sigh of relief and settle about getting drinks and bites to eat.

I headed to Tab's place and just nice was thinking of getting her to dabao food so I can reach her place and put them in the fridge. Surprisingly the hour plus journey, the tiramisu didnt disintergrate in puddles but still kept the shape. Tab's mom cooked and I get a free dinner. Then we ate pineapples then garlic peanuts. Finally ate the Tiramisu. My first full taste of it cos while packing it over, I just get a few licks of the fingers here and there. Think its good but a slice is enough. Too much is a bit heavy. Was too full and watched Tab and her mom ate the konyaku jellies. At the time of this post, 2 slices tiramisu remaining, about 4-5 konyaku jellies left.

I have enough ingredients to make another cos mascapone cheese comes in 500g and not 250g. So I just need to get another 300ml bottle of cream to get started. But IF I do it, its just to perfect the making part and most likely bring to workplace for collegues to help finish, if not maybe explore the other 20min chill type tiramisu recipe...

Here's the video that I followed to make this one.

The shorter version of Tiramisu with only 20mins of chilling time


No comments: