Sunday, July 11, 2010

Alcoholic Konyaku Jelly

Its to be my weekend cooking project. It started with me looking online for Tiramisu recipes cos last weekend ate with sister and dad at Gloria and didnt like the taste. Geoky doesnt know what it should taste like and doesnt know how to judge a good one. I told her I also dont know.

So during my free-er time somewhere on Thur, I was surfing online for Tiramisu recipes and watched 2 youtube videos on making it. So after writing down the steps, watching the videos. During a long lunch on Friday, we headed to IMM and I managed to buy the lady's fingers, vanilla essence and also bought the Plain instant konyaku powder cos I couldnt find the unflavoured ones in the supermarkets near my place. Brought those home on Friday. Then on Sat morning, before guitar lesson, I walked over next door for breakfast and also bought the Mascapone cheese, cream and cocoa powder. Kept them for the cooking on Sunday.

Last night, after reaching home and resting up, I started on the Alcoholic Konyaku Lychee Jelly. Decided to use Absolute Vodka and Bols Lychee Liquer from my alcohol collection. Tried out the jelly first on Sat night cos the tiramisu needs more work on Sun morning.

Digressing a bit, Friday's night of steamboat dinner was great. Really eat until damn full. Peanut sauce with spring onion and chinese parsley, sesame seeds and bits of garlic is heavenly. Ate so much meat until I was bloated. I felt like turning vegetarian on Sat and ate simply. Also ran to the toilet on Sat morning 4 times to clear the intestines. Its not food poisoning but really all the food digested and body wanted to get rid of it. Its been a long while since I've gorged so much food in a sitting. Dare not step on the weighing scales. Definitely going to gym today and think the whole of next week, I shall continue to eat soupy and plainer stuff.
_________________________________

Alcoholic (Vodka+Lychee Liquer) Lychee Konyaku

Ingredients: 2 cans lychee, Vodka and Lychee liquer, 1100ml of liquid, 250g pack of unflavoured konyaku jelly powder. Enough to make 32 jellies with some extra.

















Use all the lychee syrup from both cans, about 600ml. Then add in 500ml of water. I was afraid that it would be too sweet. So though the usual recipe was to have a total liquid of 950ml but I decided to up it to 1100ml. My first try I used 1200ml (300ml syrup) and actually its alright. Second try I used 950ml (1 can syrup).















Heat in a pot and stir until all dissolve. Then I used the time to line the moulds with a single lychee each. Then poured 2 moulds with the konyaku jelly. This batch is my extra and will bring to workplace for collegues. The good thing is that my family wont be forced to eat too much.

The remaining 2 moulds, I used a combination of methods of infusing the alcohol in.

Tried 3 ways of mixing in the alcohol.

First I scooped out a bowl full of konyaku jelly and added in, 2-3 table spoon of Vodka and 2-3 table spoon of Lychee liquer. Then mixed them and spooned the mixture into an entire mould, about 8 jellies.














Secondly I added about 1-2 tablespoon of Vodka and Lychee liquer to infuse 4 lychees to absorb the alcohol in. Then I poured half the mould with konyaku then put in the alcohol lychees and covered the other half with more konyaku. Made 4 jellies.














Then lastly I filled half the mould with konyaku, then spoon in about a tablespoon of mixed Vodka and Lychee liquer then cover it with konyaku, a layered method. Made 4 of those.














The final remaining konyaku, I added in alcohol and mixed and put into a bowl.















All of these went into the chiller.

Had a taste testing today. I delayed a bit cos I needed to eat breakfast before I tried them. I really like the Alcohol mixed in and the Alcohol layered ones. The jelly is sweet enough and tastier than my other 2 batches. In the layered batch, I could taste the alcohol as I bit through. Esp the Lychee liquer. The one that didnt work out is the Alcohol infused lychees. Just taste normal.

After eating one of each plus one more of the layered, I felt a bit wozzy. Guess I am very generous in the alcohol used. Plus I ate an extra lady's finger from the Tiramisu making, dipped in leftover (coffee with 4 tablespoons each of Kahlur and Caramel Baileys), I think I am a bit high at the time of this post... Better go drink water after this.

No comments: