Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Liquer Truffles - 1st try

I started on the designated Liquer truffles last night, after dinner. It was about near 8pm when I started. Didnt know whether my mom had a double boiler. Hence did the alternative, a mixing bowl over a pot of boiling water but water doesnt reach bottom.

Took freaking long for the chocolate chips to start melting. It was actually easier making this batch which is meant for the inner core of the chocolate. Its chocolate with a bit of butter, and 200ml of cream. Then it is stirred until its smooth looking.














The chocolate is split into two containers and supposedly 1 tablespoon of alcohol eg coffee liquer or cream liquer is added each cointainer. I added that, stirred in but felt its too little. So chug a bit more. Think about 4 tablespoon or so worth. So its definitely not alcohol-infused chocolate, its Alcoholic chocolates.















Dug out the alcoholic chocolate after about 3hrs in the chiller but cos by then its already nearing 12am. I was just trying to dig out as fast as I could and then used 2 teaspoons to shape it into roughly ball like. Cos cant use hands, just melts easily. Then quickly chug back into the chiller cos starting to soften....

Then the second time I melted chocolate. This was starting from 11.30pm plus all the way until past 12am, took a long while for it to soften. Finally the sleepy me decided to add a bit of milk to aid the melting process. Which did and it resembled this thick gooey dark mud you see below.

Took out the clumps of ball-like chocolate from chiller again and used a small jelly skewer and held out one and spoon clumps of gooey milk chocolate over it. So have to work fast cos the alcoholic core started to soften again. Then line up on a grease-proof cooking paper on plates. Then all of those went into the chiller and freezer. And began cleaning up all the utensils, table, plates, bowls used that have chocolate stains and droplets here and there.

While cleaning, I hear some noise, thought it was something fell and scrapped against the wall but it persisted and I went out after I was done. Shortly after I got a fright by sighting a cockroach while I almost walked into the kitchen to brush my teeth and stuff. It scuttled into the kitchen and I cautiously took out the Bygone insecticide with the long thin nozzle and waited outside in the living room. After about ten minutes, I sighted it near the slippers. Crept forward carefully and sprayed it. Then run backwards. Continued watching tv, to see if I had missed and it comes crawling out again for a second shot. Later my mom woke up and Geoky followed her into the kitchen. Saw the cockroach lying on its back, almost dead. So I went to brush my teeth. Not exactly sure which number is this but I think its about 5-6th one I've killed thus far with that Bygone since I bought it. So Daliban wins 6-nil against Cockroaches.


This morning, I took the entire batch of chocolate, dug them apart from the paper and put into 2 plastic bags and a container each, then chug back into the freezer section. Took one to try. It actually is okay except its tooooooooooooo sweet. Also it didnt resemble a ball. It looked like either mudballs or piles of dung. Why? Cos the coating of milk chocolate was uneven and also the excess pooled and solidified at the base when its put on the grease paper. Then all of that solidified and really resembled bobs of mud/dung. I took one and tried. Its very sweet and also definitely alcoholicy. Had the idea of shaping then into balls later on.

Spoke with my local collegue who mentioned I should roll them and maybe coat with cocoa powder (which I still have from the tiramisu) So after work, I bought a small box of mini baking cups. Got plastic gloves and went about shaping the chocolate dung into chocolate balls. Then rolled them over the cocoa powder thickly and put into a baking cup.

By now I cant remember which batch is the Kahlur ones and which is the Caramel Baileys. But its definitely more platable now. Except some cocoa powder spills into the baking cup itself and doesnt look that pro. Lined up 2 layers of them in a box. Put into freezer to chill. Gonna bring to work tomorrow and let local collegues try first. Then let the rest help me finish? Its really too much to do so.

But though many messy steps and alot of cleaning up to do. Alot of taking in and out of fridge especially when the chocolate started softening. It looks decent and taste pretty alright for a first experimental try.

Its a bit too sweet, think would be more glad if I can let my collegues be my guinea pigs and eat it up for me.

Will be taking a break from chocolate making for a short while cos of the melting takes really long. Also the amount of chocolate mess to clean up after every encounter.

Next target is Three Layer Muddy Mud Pie. It looks simple enough from the Youtube video and I have checked out the ingredients. They are available. Just need to make sure it can be finished up also schedule on weekends to try out so can focus on other stuff on weekdays eg practice guitar which I still havent gone about doing... Today wasnt feeling that great at work. Think my body is showing signs of falling again. Need more rest and water.

No comments: