Saturday, July 17, 2010

Why the big deal?

This is not to be a negative post but more of dunno why my Jap collegues are so impressed? Well so far I've put on the table 2 types of food I made. One was the instant chocolate cake' 3/4 of it and half the batch of lychee konyaku jellies- my 1st and 3rd attempt, in the about 3.5 months of working there.

I would then hear from the jap collegues who would mention that they really like the konyaku jelly I've made and how impressed they are... To me, I would just adknowledge but tell them actually it's very very easy. To sum it up, that cake was an instant mix, that konyaku is instant konyaku with water and canned lychee...

I actually brought the tiramisu ingredients to work on thursday and intended to use my free periods to make but the students were having lessons in the kitchen and so had to delay until after lessons, also running around to bring the late would-be ALTs to the classrooms and making a set of activity sheets for them so they can know what's the activity like. And last minute a collegue asked for an activity, which I found looking through the game books, but meant I worked my butt off printing, laminating and cutting up the sets. So very stoned by the end of the day. I asked to be excused from cca, telling the teacher I got some stuff to do and went to the kitchen.

I kept to the recipe and method from the first try. Except I brewed the coffee and added the alcohols and sugar the night before. Also I lined the tin with grease-proof baking paper to see if it could result in ease of removing the tiramisu when it's time to serve. So finished making it in about half and hour plus, put in the chiller for Fri. Went back downstairs and stoned at my seat. Felt too stoned and think coming down with a chill so with 15mins left in the cca to go, just decided to stone there.

Friday was better cos I only had 2 periods but not free to leave my seat cos of more ALTs coming and again got late-comers. After classes, I just zoned out infront of laptop and studied for Jap test, things can't seem to sink in though I did look through all the notes once then. During lunch, went out with local collegues for s longer lunch and ate Swenson 1-1, each of us ordered a main and a side. $39 for 3 mains and 3 sides after the offer. We went back and I took out the chilled tiramisu to let them try. I was afraid that the overnite chilled coffee might affect the taste and wanted to try some first. It's good. So cut 2 slices for collegue to bring home. Cut up 1 slice into 3s to have a sampling. Both say is nicer than the one we had from the Italian restaurant on Wed. Well I think the alcohol and coffee soaked lady's fingers with the generous amount of cream and mascapone cheese and when served chilled, wins the lightly soaked one without alcohol anytime. I cut up the remaining 9 slices into 3s so it resembles little cubes that is bite-sized so more collegues can get to eat. Just not enought for each to have a slice. Put back into chiller and waited for after dismissal. After students were sent off, some teachers were having meeting at the table and I waited until they have finished and then brought down the tiramisu.

Immediately some female collegues noticed me holding the plates ans asked me what it was and also whether I made them. I told them it's tiramisu and I made it for them, though not very much. A few followed me to the table and helped themselves. Even the Aussie male collegues came over and ate. They showed their appreciation by telling me it's very good. Some asked if I made it, some asked if my hobby was cooking. One jap collegue agreed with me- cos that night at the Italian restaurant, she overheard my local collegue asking me which tiramisu I thought was better? I told her I like the one I made. So the jap collegue joined into the conversation. I told her that I tried once but too much for family so don't mind making if they can help me eat. She said no problem. I already decided to use the remaining ingredients to make one for them but didn't tell them of course. So she came to my seat and asked if I made it. Yes. Then she took a bite and said she agreed with me, my version is nicer.

I left shortly after and headed home. The plan was to go for gym since I missed Mon session to deliver to Tab's place. But I felt my body coming down with something plus a whole tiring week with all those ALTs, I whiteflag and slept. Woke up near 10.30pm and looked through Jap notes. I hadn't touched my guitar at all.

Had cancelled assignment today. So woke up and ate breakfast, then looked through Jap notes again. Going to practice a bit of guitar and hope I don't lag behind too much. Just wanna chill and take things easy this weekend, it's been a hectic one so far. Also think my body needs a rest. Brain is not up to much also.

No comments: