Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 2 - Long Shan Si & Modern Toilet

I woke up bloody early at 7.30am. Then there was nothing to do cos my sister slept with the controller in her blanket somewhere. I resorted to manually switching and watching tv. There's over a 100 channels. Ate the Mister Donut dabaoed earlier the nite before.

Finally around 9.10am, my sister woke up. We ate the complimentary breakfast. It's simple. Porridge and the dishes, toast n jam. We ate a light one then went back to the room. Around 10.30am, we left, following the various maps, we walked to places that didn't explore or were closed when we went the day before. We walked towards a famous gift - Chinese 饼屋, bought quite a bit and would be delivered to our hotel on departure day. We sampled n got quite a bit. Some for work and home.

I had to ask for directions if we don't seem to get there. But it was close enough to Ximeng, we made it there to go to a comic shop - Animate. It closed when we reached yesterday there by stumbling upon it. When it was time to pay, I offered to help my shy sister pay on her behalf (I bought 1 myself) Yet when I was paying, the counter guy asked to check my ID!!! Err it's prohibited sale to under 18. Err so I look that youthful?!? Had to dig out my money belt where passport n ic are to show one to him... Dunno to be happy that I was checked or unhappy due to the whole bit abt struggling to get my passport from the money belt... Never expected to be checked. My sister said that there was a sign hat those who purchase any of these have to show identification (but later on, at another shop, buying the comics, despite the signage, I wasn't asked for ID) hmmm...

We continued along and found the "Ah Zhong" mee sua. I ordered a takeout cos still quite full. We headed to one station away to go to Long Shan Si cos got the 月老 there housed among the gods. We bought some simple flowers from a road side lady then proceeded in. It's very crowded, lots of people praying. We did our praying one round offering the incense then another to put in money for thanks. After the praying, I ate the mee sua outside. It's very tasty and light. Not salty n I mistaken the intestines as tasty chicken skin but didn't eat the rest of the intestines. My sister didn't even want to taste one spoon, oh well. Then we searched around the area for pharmacy for some medicines on an errand.

Headed back to Ximeng, hungry n tired by now the amount of walking around for the pharmacy. We found the big bookshop franchise n nearby was the Modern Toilet Restaurant. Found it! We ordered a hotpot n a porkchop set. Came in toilet bowls which we took pics n posed around with. Even the complimentary sundae came in toilet bowls - squatting style. The huge ass ice cream sundae u can order comes in his super pile of overtopping squat style ma-tong. It's quite fun to be amused yet as u eat, become queasy as the remainding food swirl around the toilet bowl utensils. After resting and getting memobrailla, we walked along somemore to explore another book shop but mainly fashion mall. Nothing much. Then we lugged our purchases back to the hotel. It was about 4.30pm. I managed to buy a adapter for the plugs for 100NT, so means I can surf the wireless without worry o flat battery. Intend to rest until dinner. I actually fell asleep for 2 hrs.

When I woke up, it was 6 plus. My sister was watching the tv show, 大胃王 and it was interesting. We dragged going out until 8 plus. She didn't feel like going to the Shida Night market, so we explored the final bits of missed out malls. We walked past the Plushie stall. It had another 3 more Angry Bird Plushies. I had to get them. So my sister also itchy and wanted another Plushie. So I asked for discount. She charged the extra sister Plushie 20NT cheaper. Again knowing how overpriced the rest of the stalls were charging, I happily bought the remaining 3 for 300NT. Total is 580NT or $26. Cheap. We headed to the basement of one of it, it was old style. The basement was full of little shops selling food. For less than 100NT, we got a main, free soup and a big flask of tea. The serving also very big. I had 排骨饭, my sis had 鸡排面. Taste good and really generous with the meat and veg and rice. I couldn't finish the rice. After that we shared another frog egg with ru hui. Nice.

We explored the last mall and then made our way back. We walked around, looking for Idol stuff for sis. We went to comic shop, idol merchandise shops, even walked to a lane full of pubs. Then took another way and discovered another 饼屋. End up with more stuff. Think I cannot buy anymore foodstuff. Packing them might be diff with so many boxes... No more. The wind turned very cold and around eleven when the wind got a bit strong, throngs of shop closing n stall holders packing, we dabaoed each a cup of hot milk tea. Very nice! Loved honey milk tea here. On the way back saw this fruit stall, I decided to buy a cup of strawberries but the cherry tomatoes, guava and one more caught my eye. Ended up with 4 packs of fruits. Lugged them all back to the hotel room. In the warmth n safety, relaxed n eat the super nice and sweet strawberries. The rest were very good too! Totally with the 340NT (less than $16) I've paid. There are still fruits left n in the fridge. Tomorrow eat after breakfast. At least a more varied diet than just rice, fried, strong tasting saucy food.

Tomorrow's plan is to head up the North line to places like Shilin n stay out for dinner at the Shilin night market. So tomorrow sleep late a bit, leave room about 11am. Now it's 3.08am. I better get to sleep.

No comments: