Monday, March 14, 2011

Misfortune or Fortunate?

It is fortunate that our intended planned trip to Japan fell through given the recent earthquake, tsunami and now nuclear reactor problem. Our destination was Tokyo which was one of the places struck by earthquake though no tsunami. The nuclear reactor is in Fukushima in middle of Japan, not that very far from Tokyo.

I'll be beading to Taiwan this Sunday. Checked the world map. It's on the other side of Japan and so much further away from the bottom tip of Japan. In fact countries that are more worried about the nuclear fallout is south and north Korea and central Japan. It's scary how things can change in an instant. Many were looking forward to the coming holidays until these series of tragedies make certain problems seem small in comparison.

The other is my contract. Headless is like the translator for the P. She was telling me around Thur or Fri that they tried to fight for our salary increase, but seems it is not flexible. That there wasnt time for negotiations with us. Huh? WTF? For increase in workload in terms of preparation and planning and even having to make own resources cos they dont have anything in terms of resources thus far. Still expect me to take same pay? Where got such deal? If that's the case, I rather keep my current position... Then said something like next year will definitely have negotiations, pay increase (all these sounds empty and very unrealistic) and expect me to enjoy the challenge of teaching. WTF? Sometimes dunno wth is the Headless trying to achieve by saying such crap. I did tell her, "Realistically, the pay matters."

There are a whole lot of issues that leaving us in our current position as asst is not gonna cut it. We would be doing solo lessons all the way through in English. You think dont need preparation meh? Given their tb is so simple and their wb has a combination of eng n jap. Duh! This is what happens when the Headless gets to plan. Like a typical teacher-planned project, its all paper but nothing in logistical nor resources aspect. Then the lame meeting on last Friday. All of us sat down and had to discuss about how to do the lesson based on this 1-liner 'prepare qns and interview teacher'. HUH? we were all giving each other question marks. Then in my group of 4-5, we had to devise some more concrete things like how to conduct the lesson, how the lesson should flow over the 2 weeks, design 1-2 ws for the acticivities. WHAT type of planning is this? Then there was silence about the other 3 lessons which I would be doing solo. WTFH? I think for all the increased trouble, I should be reimbursed. Its a change in work responsibilities and scope, a change in position, dont expect me to work 100% n be happy at the same pay. That would be under-paying. The financial maxim "When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" *peanuts is not 1mil in NKF scandal case* I am not sure if I would work as hard nor be as creative in resource making as I am now if I have to do all of the stuff at the same pay... WTH?

I better start on my job search right after Taipei trip. Stupid stockmarket is going nowhere and I am in for the ride. Not much gains and losses in current position. No gains except for dividends. Unfortunately cannot survive on dividends alone.

Fortunate or Unfortunate....

No comments: