Friday, March 18, 2011

Disappointed n time to search for a job

We have been waiting for news with regards to the contract renewal esp remuneration package, pay, since the last time we've spoken. I gave a letter to highlight 3 areas of concern. That was in mid-Feb. Ever since then, hear nothing. Then recently, on one occasion, Headless told me that the pay increase is ... Think hinting about the contract remuneration that I assumed to be Jedi-master didn't let much through... But she hopes I will enjoy teaching still n the challenge of it. I listened to her intently and told her "Realistically pay matters"

I dunno if it even was registered to the P. Then the other collegues are renewed, but all with marginal increment of less than a hundred. Me n my counterpart are left out and left wondering if it was ever to happen and if they would let it dragged until hols are over which was too much.

True enough, my counterpart was asked in first. I was to go in after her. She took a while hen came out. I asked her if she signed, she said no. Obviously we used Mandarin which nobody unless a local can understand. I was surprised n yet that spoke volumes of the pay. We had already analyzed the situation, which wasn't bright. The worse case was they pay us the same on basis of our current position, though I would be teaching solo lessons, have to plan that still present LC but now is subsumed under English periods. That meant an increase from 3hrs of solo to 16hrs of teaching. Plus they don't account for the work involved in the planning and preparation of extra resources or wS. Just cos u buy a tb n a wb, doesn't mean that nothing else needs to be done but just teach using those. So if they are just going to pay the same as my current to do these. I don't think it's unfair to increase my pay n recognize our change in position to a full-fledge teacher instead of asst.

I sat down, saw the contract which only shows my particulars n pay offered. It's just $50 extra. Really I am disappointed and in disbelief. Emotions getting riled up. I asked these questions

1. What is my position? Why is it not changed to "full fledged" and hence my pay.
2. Why is the pay still at the current given I am no longer 'assisting' But doing solo.
3. Due to responses I heard translated from the P, I made several points; I asked those Alts what they actually did in Japan and compared to them already did more. Plus in the interview, there's no mention of the LC solo but when I started, I took it in stride n cca.
4. Why was the current system of the Alt scrapped so quickly n in a year only to be deemed a failure?

Then after a round of back n forth (ask me for details), it reached a silence. They look at me and I look at the contract infront of me. I could have just sign then screw them over by finding another and serving 1 mths notice. But I don't wish to do that. There is a need to let them be aware of other pple's culture n the fact that they shouldn't just be the ones making the demands. The issue is not the increment but the payscale which is tied to the position. They are not recognizing a change in position, so no change in pay.

The thing is while I had hoped to stay on, I am also concerned abt still drawing this type of salary which is 'okay' as asst but not okay as a full-fledge. I do not want to under-price myself just to have a job n the following year, what if the same argument is used? So year on year, I am getting this? If that's the case, I can start somewhere entry level and work upwards. At least gain a skill outside the industry.

My brows were frowning at this point, I was choked with irritation n disappointment, I told them I need to think about this offer. I need to consider. Respectfully I turned the paper toasted the P and pushed it over a bit. There was no mention of if there's going to be another contract renewal. I don't know but I didn't ask. I walked out angry n very disappointed.

Fearful that I have to give up this income in a 'gamble' of pushing it higher but to me it's not a gamble. It's a change of responsibilities n scope of worker so a change in title should be in order. Even a pay increase of $200-300 minimum would have suffice. The reason quoted abt their economy hence the minimal increment, token at least. But that's not the point. Initially I bought my previous pay was decent, then revised downwards more and more. My pay is enough to get by but I don't expect myself to be on hat same pay year after year even as I am getting older... It's those comfortable but not high figure. Signz...

How can I be motivated? Happy? Inspiring? And focused on doing a good job when despite giving the letter and hence informing them of these concerns result in nothing concrete except for a pay of $50 difference?

I was talking and complaining with my counterpart while she drove us to nearby mall. Ate more substance cos lunch was so light. We are in the same boat. Signs I have to focus on things I can do; enjoy my hols then come back n look for a job.

I bought a travel luggage and she drove me home too. We have to plan our next step. Didn't wish for it to reach this 'worst' scenario and yet it did. I am okay with my decision not to sign because though I know my counterpart didnt sign, she had other reasons, I actually wanted to stay on and continue. But with this, dunno if there will be a contract renewal at all. If negotiations will actually happen or they go find replacements during this hol.

I have to start making my own plans and act upon them.

No comments: