Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Morton's & National Day

Monday, we decided to go to Morton. Simple really, have good martinis and free steak sandwiches. We managed to get seats at the bar counter, which is circular, so effectively we at the hind side of the bar counter. I ordered Lychee martini, Tab had Cosmos. Strong especially when I was feeling rather hungry already. On the way over, I bought and ate a small matcha swiss roll from Breadtalk cos my stomach was growling. My body is used to eating early dinner due to my assignment, hence around 5pm, I start to get hungry.

We chatted and I relaxed while nursing the martini. 2 rounds of steak sandwiches came before Quetzal arrived. We got her a portion. Later we ordered 2 martinis each. Pretty strong stuff. I had to go off by 7.10pm cos I still had assignment. I was hopeing it might be cancelled but it wasnt... so I didnt finish my 2nd lychee. Passed it to Tab who happily chugged it down in a gulp. No wonder she was high. The last time I had 3 of Morton's martinis, I was so high and felt the world woozy. Though I hit my toe-nail cos the chair fell on it... dont feel the pain... only until next day... Yar that powerful. Tab and Quetzal were playing with the app Songify making 'high' songs. I was trying to concentrate and watch how the bartender mixed the martinis. I managed to watch the lychee and the chocolate ones cos they were really popular. We learnt of another vodka with very nice bottles - Ultimat Vodka without the 'e' too. Once the happy hour was up, I made my way for assignment. Due to the longer distance, I arrived 10mins late but stayed 10mins after so all's well.

Tuesday, National day, we agreed to head to Tab's place. Where they were telling me of what they did after leaving Mortons. Apparently very high and they walked around a bit. Shopped but didnt buy cos they didnt want to shop under the influence of alcohol. I brought a big bag with my recipe book, shaker and measuring, bottle of Tequila, bottle of Dom benedictine, my leftover bag of chopped white onions. Went to Sheng Siong, bought a smoke duck breast and Pineapple juice. Went to Cold storage to buy Cranberry juice and Grenadine syrup, took a ginger ale and a bitters soda. All went into the super heavy bulky bag. Then I took a feeder bus to the bus interchange and changed to 156. Arrived about 40mins later instead of an hour.

The lift was almost not working. It wouldnt open but I wasnt going to climb 16 stories with my bag. Finally it worked. Got it and arrived. Since we had Taiwan sausage plus garlic, smoked duck breast, aglio pasta and sautee white onions, decided just get drinks. Went to the 7-11 and just bought 2 teas plus a calamasi juice cos needed lime juice. Then walked to Tab's other place to get the Triple Sec cos cannot do without it.

Cooking was alright and non-fussy mostly. We ate our dinner and later munched some chips. Then I took out my stuff and started making Singapore Sling, cos it's the National Day after all. I kept to the original recipe that is available online except for the Cherry brandy and Orange bitters which we dont have. I substituted with the bitters soda to give it the slight bitter taste. Didnt know that the Singapore sling uses so many types of alcohol - gin, contrieu,  benedictine dom and secondary liquer like cherry brandy, orange bitters. With pineapple and lime juice. It was not bad for a first try. More pineapple to dilute it if ya didnt like the cherry taste from the grenadine syrup. Made 1 round for each of us.

Then the Triple Sec was used to make the Absolut Cosmo. Its vodka, triple sec,  lime and cranberry juice. I added a dash of the bitters to try to simulate the Morton's version. Its nice. Made 3 for each.

I tried the Magarita with the triple sec but an unflavoured magarita didnt suit so I drank that one I made. Didnt offer to them.

Tab made a request of "Surprise me", I opened up my recipe book and looking at what ingredients we had on hand, made a "Rude Cosmo", added a dash of bitters soda too,  which was good also and all of us started cussing cos we were drinking a 'rude' drink. Really with enough alcohol in the system, easier to cuss and swear. Made 2 rounds and that was the last one cos it was almost 10pm, needed to drink water and clean up gradually. The bottle of Contrieu used up.

We happily cleaned and packed up around 11pm and made our way out. Walked with Tab towards her home and on the way if got cabs, take and go. I took a cab home too. The bag still heavy with 2 bottles of alcohol, recipe book and mixer, plus 3 juices and a can of lychee. But even with the amount of alcohol I couldnt sleep. Was alert and knew I had to drink water to get rid of the alcohol. Which was what I did, drink water, go toilet until 1-2am... before I slept. Sleeping full of alcohol is something I cant do. Body will refuse to sleep. Not a bad mixing experience.

Wednesday, normal day. Woke up late and lazed. The market is better, rising a bit. I havent bought this one counter but never mind. Needed to settle the payments later through atm. I took out another pack of chicken breast meat and a box of my salad and made lunch. Still have 2 more of these. Stopped for 2 days cos of the kitchen flooding and the National Day. So today back to usual. Steam both but think veg steamed not so nice. Either raw or stir fry. The steamed chicken breast meat is nice too. But my mouth is rebelling. I was thinking of the smoked duck breast meat we had yesterday that was so much nicer... Thinking of chicken chop. Resist! Have to try to drag my sorry ass to the gym later cos havent gone yet.

No comments: