Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The end of the hols

Today's the last day of the 1 month long pure hols. Tomorrow it's back to 17 weeks of waking up with the alarm clock. I will try my best to stay in shape through regular gym, eat more healthy lunches (try to make some or choose better), cut on the calories (esp when eating out with the leaving collegue) and try to focus on guitar and my own learning. I have to try to read these series of books that teaches some tricks to do trading and investment. The only catch is they are in Chinese. I am 3/4 through one book, 2 more to go. But its more reader-friendly and less technical. Those will be the books I be reading when I have to go up to form class daily just to be there.

This hol, I must say I really did enjoy myself even though I didnt travel. Wanted to but due to assignment, guitar, and driving commitments, plus not really anybody to go with, not able to commit to longer trips. Even shorter trips also cant confirm. The most I did was to go to JB CitySquare once and it was a good trip. Just I missed the massage. Put more muscle-ache cream and paste more medicated plaster.

I did most of the stuff I set out to do except tidying up my table and tidying up the Dvd collection. Also didnt bake once, nor refine lychee martini and try to make red-wine poached pear. Those are easier cos they are once-off activities. I shall try to do them whenever free time pops up.

Today I got an sms from that colleague asking for lunch but my stomach is not up for eating a sumptious lunch. I declined partly cos I am trying to get into shape. So far I am back to slightly below 70kg... not yet back at my usual fat self, nor anywhere near my target of 62kg. So I dont want to eat something only to have to workout for several hours and days to try to burn off. I did make myself go to gym yesterday. So that's 1 out of targeted 2 times per week. Feeling the aches cos last week, I didnt go for an entire week due to driving lesson everyday. Since my Thur, Fri and Sat evenings are taken up, I am left with Sunday for the 2nd time. The good news is that the gym opens until 8pm at night. So even if I finally leave at 6pm, I can still have time for my usual routine.

Today I just ate a simple breakfast of meatball noodles. Lunch was a normal sized soup bowl of caramel popcorn cos I still have those leftover (still cripsy cos in ziplock bag). Didnt do much except let my computer finally start-up after hours and hours of system check, watched Naruto dvd while TT-ing and checking stock market now and then.

Time seems to pass fast and its evening already. I am going to go buy 4 small packs of non-fat yoghurt. 2 of them make up my breakfast everyday. So Thur and Fri = 4 packs. Also go out and walk a bit nearby. I am not making lunch yet, cos only 2 days left this week. Would rather just eat out or dabao during lunchtime.

Man I would miss this whole relaxed, unhurried pace of life. Without using alarm clock to wake up daily. Going out when I want to, not in a hurry to go places. Enjoying this too much to go back to work. Unfortunately my investments dont bring in enough to retire. I still need a main income. I am rethinking about having to do assignment to bring in a bit more secondary income. I could use that two evenings for more gym, or take up something else. Once this one is finished (by mid-Oct) I wont take up anything for a while. Looking forward to the free time.

Also thanks to the "crash" during the month of August, I have the opportunity to sell off a malaysian counter to realise profits, otherwise my investment was rather lacklustre performance of dividends purely. Also thanks to my holidays, I was able to monitor the share prices and make a quick sell and later several buys when certain counters are dropping like crazy. Think there was over-selling of certain so I bought 1 lot everytime the prices drop to about my target price. Then when it fell, I buy 1 lot again. Of course, overall I am sitting on losses still especially for my SG portfolio, also I had to transfer some funds from my Reserve to pay for some lots. Really dont think I wanna to buy anymore for now. With yesterday and today's mostly Green, maybe the worse might be over. Now is to wait-and-see and make better sell decisions for those counters that I want to trade. Some are longer term and hence I want higher gains. To help me better, I actually calculated the targeted returns of 25%-30% and type the prices into my stock tracking list. Then I know exactly if they are reaching my target sell price. Easier to make decisions when numbers are clearer. Also now I am practicisng the skill of "Refrain and Patience". Also monitoring the Gold prices now and then, waiting for it to fall. When stocks do well, gold price drops some. Still early, targeting until about Jan-Feb 2012 duration before buying.

On the whole, quite a fruitful holiday. I did many things like cooking lunch replacement, aglio-olio, went for driving, went JB, restarted my gym routine, ate sushi buffet, had good martinis, good beer, made Singapore sling, Cosmo, spent time at home with family, read many storybooks, started on this chinese one about trading, went to Comic convention, went for a Summer festival, cut lots of newspaper articles (for class use), tidied up my room and clothes, started monitoring my calorie intake (not instant weight loss - will take a while to see results), continued with assignment and guitar commitments, made baileys ice cream (still very popsicle), shopping (new shoes, green baggy pants, supply of collagen pills), managing to eat some delicious food and dessert and still kept my weight down a bit down compared to the start of the hols. Not a bad holiday, looking back.

Look forward to the next term holiday (only 2 weeks) from 22nd or 23rd Dec til 6th Jan.

No comments: