Wednesday, December 12, 2012

霸工 then A Sweet Gesture

Today I was kinda sian. Feeling the fatigue and mainly due to the 'Party' fiasco n then followed by the 'Candy' hoo-ha, I was literally drained of my inspiration and motivation.

Such that today being such a light day, due to a swap, I end up with just 1 lesson for the day. Of course I don't show negativity during the lesson but outside of it, I was sian.

Usually I would be working through any free periods I have, clearly work-on-hand, thinking about lessons, preparing lessons in advance or making worksheet and activity materials. ALL came to a stand-still today. I utterly refused to do anything remotely productive. Instead I was listening to guitar riffs and looking for guitar tabs and amending some that I wanted to try to play. Managed to tab 2 songs I wanted to learn without having to pay for the subscription...

I was asked to be on a panel of judge for a speech contest. 7 out of 8 were my former students from last year. I listened hard and tried to be fair in scoring them. I thought I was overly generous but the final results after tallying among the judges was exactly the order I had scored them. So I wasn't thinking too differently from them. I tried very hard to be unbiased.

As this contest was going on, my level was having some sort of a class party, which I wasnt really aware of. Went up to class for the dismissal part and was presented with 2 slices of cake with lots of rainbow sprinkles n choc chips sprinkled and half a bar of Meiji chocolate with a message written behind it using white chocolate. It's made by a group of about 5-6 girls. They baked for the whole class yesterday during cca timing. Went to thank those girls face-to-face.

Didn't eat it then, no time and still had to help to discipline... I did ask for 1 min to explain to the class that I was down for judging duties for the speech competition. Also thank them for remembering me n giving me the cake, plus hope they had enjoyed their party.

Carried the cake downstairs to the envy of another class which didn't prepare food. It's kinda not standardized. What about the 'fair' aspect? Whatever...

I was touched by the simple message on the chocolate bar and the gesture. So those candy weren't bought yet cos the two Walls were slow-footing. I decided then if they cancel or call it off, I AM buying candy for my form class since there's no issue.

After cca, I ate the cake n chocolate. It was extremely SWEET, on many levels. The plain cake was sweet, the rainbow sprinkles and choc chips were sweet, and the half bar of milk chocolate was sweet. sugar over-dose. But it's one of those times where I eat it without complaint.

I waited and stayed back a bit to catch the two Walls to ask a final time about the final verdict from the other levels and them. In the end, only my level is doing. So I told them I would buy for the level cos I live nearby. I went to see the sinseh for the weekly follow-up first.

Went to the supermarket and chose the candy, carefully, no broken canes. Asked the cashier to be gentle too. Then I was considering to bring home or make another trip to the workplace. In the end, I decided to make the trip cos if I had to bring tomorrow, many pairs of eyes. By then it was almost 7pm, no unnecessary pairs of eyes to see. So I carefully lugged on the bus and walked to the workplace. It was drizzling a bit but I didn't have my umbrella. Just walk in the drizzle. Reached, passed over to the two Walls who seemed happy about it. They store it away in a cupboard and I headed home. Grabbed my jacket to use as a raincoat. My part is done for now. Now only need to distribute and claim back my $$$. Don't get me wrong, I was willing to pay but not for everyone. Plus it was so much less hassle if its just my own biz - money.

Never-mind, will think about it Tom. That "hard" part is over for now. It's been a grueling 2-3 weeks of vague answers, inaction, no follow-ups, hoo-ha, frustration n irritation. Tell me about it but the sweet gesture somehow made it seem worth it. Though I don't think everyone deserved to get the candy, but bo bian at least the deserving ones do get it.

No comments: