Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The issues on mind about work

On our minds this month is whether our contract would be renewed. Because it is an annual contract with no gurantee of renewal. That's the other negative aspect about this job, besides my pay cut. Not that much of job security, year on year.

I dont want to say too much here. But just that one collegue is not going to be renewed due to some official reasons I've heard. Then I helped that collegue to fill out some forms to seek employment locally elsewhere. Now that led me to wonder if I would still have a job in the next year?

Just found out that they are called in one-by-one to offer the renewal. Dunno if you can negotiate pay also??? As the pecking order of things, we are the last layer. So its either wait for our turn or ask for some information, though we were already wondering about it by last term Nov. There was no communication much about this aspect, and we wondered if it was culturally inapproriate to ask too soon. Yet if there was no renewal, we would like to know so that we can make plans but then again CNY is around the corner, so not much openings I guess plus the festive mood so negative things should be left until after. But still wanna know. So think might ask this end of this week if nothing.

Hope to work one more year, at least, so that it is something to put on the resume as well as build up my $50k target for personal reserve. I was on track to hitting back $30k reserve but paying off the annual insurance policies meant it drained it. Ouch. Well there's only 1 month bonus in March. I will use that to top up my reserve. Would feel more secure the nearer I am to that figure. Still got quite a very long way to go. The other plan is to manage my cash Stock portfolio better to see if I can rake it higher returns than last year's $15k so that I can shift some over to top up the personal reserve. Hoping for $20k. Will have to make better buy and sell decisions and be more dilligent monitoring. Trying to do that while juggling work, exercise routines, assignment plus guitar classes. Have to make better use of my time, more efficiently also.

I have been thinking, exactly how long can I stay in this job? If things goes well, can be several years, if my contract is renewed. But on the other side, can this be a career? My PR status will expire in another 5 years, I have to make sure that by the 4th year, I am working still to be able to renew. And many locals complain about foriegn workers. We have our own set of difficulties when working in sg, just that many dont think nor realise. All these made me think about this working for others thingy. Wont it be better if I was working for myself in my own company then. No worries about 'unemployment', yet sustainability is key. No ideas in mind, willl keep it open. Usually biz are based on things known best. There are those who stumble into something too. Really depends. Whichever it is, capital and having sound biz strategies is key.

No comments: