Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Job versus Calling

"If you do something you really love, then you dont have to work a single day for the rest of your life." A quote by some guy about job.

Job versus Calling. I hate the C word. Its been so misquoted so much that any mention brings cold shivers at the fakeness. There are those amongst who really are under this category. Most are in varying degrees. A few outright on Job aspect. I hate it especially when they keep quoting it as the sole reason why pple take up this position.

Where do I lie? Somewhere in the side closer to job as it has shifted gradually over the years of bondage drew me there. What I dont appreciate are the whole lot of just-do-it-cos-its-your-responsibility for every single thing and the you-cant-screw-up-cos-of-bond thingy. I am not a superwoman, nor a wonderwoman. I tire, make mistakes, am not perfect. But the expectation is that one has to be prim and proper.

Internally I am becoming more rebel over the years. How I long to dye my hair blond or very light brown... Imagine having a tattoo... err that would really have to wait...

I still enjoy learning especially things that I can pick up with my effort be it own self-study, paid courses or even incidental learning. In fact post-jbb, for the rest of the year up until just after CNY even maybe next Mar/April, I intend to and plan to fill up my emptier schedule with time for courses that I have deferred, time spent with parents, siblings, reading up and self study, lots of rest and exercise and tidying up this phase of my life, clearing up my 'rubbish' accumulated over the years. Also wanna aim to head to Japan then. Okay, share trading to target extra $4k for that? Ohanami shitai.

I need some time to brush away the dust of daily life, quench the empty heart, find the motivation, desire and aim for something. That would come with enough rest ba.

For now, I start my counting down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is satisfying from work (if you are the boss) is that you can create and control the various aspects. I like to set my own time, pace and materials. I like to analyse things and create systems to solve these issues. Kinda useful in tutoring, these traits are. Last few years, I was under some sick fxxk, who keep pestering me to adopt his English systems (which is kinda lame and doesnt produce English speaking students, nor produce students who can cope with secondary English). Had to keep a polite "mask" while rejecting his offers politely. This year, this sick fxxk played rental issues with me, thinking I dared not venture out. Bloody hell, he vastly underestimated me and my ambitions. (Having a polite and humble front does wonders to hide many things, which can threathen your rice bowl.Like in my case, starting my own TC within 10 years.)

ie You are in control. You have choices. You answer to yourself as if business fails, you yourself gets screwed.Only then the responsibilities are palatable and one can bear them with a equanimity mind-set.

When others are holding and crushing your balls in their hands. It makes one wonder, is it worth it to stay on?

You must find your own strengths and develop in your niche. I have done English tuition for nearly 5 years. The expansion into Tuition Centre and own license is only a next step of the development within my niche. Alot of work and hassles. But kan yuan to bear them all, as this is my choice and I can teach until I konk off at 6x or 7x or 8x. No one on top to ka jiao me. I face only parents, landlord and government officials.

Know yourself, what you want from a career/niche, can u get what u want from your niche?
Is developing in your niche worth the fight?
Can your niche sustain you and for how long?

Above are some of the more relevant questions to ask, to fine tune your search for your niche.

Have fun. You are free.
1390