Thursday, July 30, 2009

My leaving thoughts... My guitar evaluation

Being an Educator meant one has to do stuff at times that reminds one of National Service or at least the female form of it. There are a few occasions in a year that reminds me of it and I dont really enjoy or like it though I have to do it.

1) P1 registration - educators back up now
- as customer service officiers to help parents fill forms like counter service,
- verify documents like some bank officier,
- photocopy like some admin staff,
- answer queries and even follow-up like customer officer
AND after doing all that,
end up with short break of half an hour before have to do other duties and then on top of that still teach an full day worth of lesson.

*SIGNZ*

2) PSLE Oral Invigilation- again the only benefit is that other levels besides the P6 are around.
- alot of logistical stuff, and duty to do.
- the best is to be the time-keeper or back up time-keeper though its boring cos even if you have nothing to do, you cant do anything else but sit there.
- its bad to be an oral examiner cos its intense.

*SIGNZ*

3) PSLE Marking
This one beats the rest hands-down. No school during the period but educators have to report at office hours type. After long briefing, then sit and mark until dismissal time. Its like a marking marathon and montonous after serveral hours. My neck becomes stiff after all the sitting down and marking. There are times, my eyes hurt after staring at so many scripts for extended timing. This is the ultimate National Service.

*SIGNZ*

and other stuff like "xx anniversary, meet-parents, open house etc"

My hats off to those who are still in-service, going to be in-service, going to NEI, going to contract. They really are unsung heroes for all these "National Service" done in the name of education. Though there are bad apples amongst them, mostly are decent people who wishes to teach well, are laden with lots of admin work that they try to do, cca duties they try to carry out, on top of whatever form teachership entails, all the discipline, behavioural, family issues.

Though I must say this, I cannot say the same about leadership and management. From my own experience, many mistakes, blunders, paper-planning, paper-talk, which often always leave implementation and logistical to educators who have to 'clean up' and carry out all that, on top of all the 'eggs' juggled. They come from an Educator background, they rise up to mgt position. Think they have to go for training in HR and some stuff but WHETHER they are CAPABLE in those areas is really questionable. This should be a strong aspect to be looked very closely into instead of focusing on educator all the time. Focusing at the wrong party in the whole system of things.

Its mind-boggling how some educator can cope at all. There is a sacrifice of time. Many bring things back to mark. They work another 3rd shift after they reach home. Some work up to late at night regularly. Some dont see their family members cos by the time they reach home, they are already sleeping. My hat and heart out to those. I am unable to reach that level of commitment or "work-a-holicism" though its quite common.

As I leave, I will remember those who have been good and kind to me. Forget those who have done me wrong (if cannot forget, curse them with something like financial implosion of shittybank), remember the students whom I have taught though I cant remember the names clearly after a while and didnt have class photos of every form class I had.

Nevermind. Its time to move onto the other step of my life, whichever and whatever it will lead me to.
___________________________________________

Today after a LONG day that almost spanned 12 hours, I ended up very tired and sickly cos my problem flared up in the middle part of the day. AND after all that, I headed down for Guitar Evaluation cos the As5&)&^% coursemate couldnt make it on Friday. Specially bring forward to today, even the timing was set earlier than usual at 7.30pm.

Guess what, I arrived after hurrying from work, travelling straight down, only stopping for less than 5 mins to buy a drink at the 7-11, walked over, went in, went to the toilet to change and put water on my face to try to wake up. Walked into the 'stage' area only to see my instructor. No sign of the other.

Guess what?

He couldnt make it or didnt show up or whatever. I tell you, I was so irritated, if I see that a55, I am going to tell him that I am not shifting the slot, basket. Always he convenient, then no show. Forget it, the changing of the time for guitar, NOT CONVENIENT for me. Duh.

Anyway I didnt bring my own guitar cos of work, used the guitar over there. Cant sing with playing cos playing more complicated with stuff to remember. So instructor sang, I played. Result, she gave me quite high marks though I felt I didnt do that well. She did say not that strict and 'give water' but I would rather not. Anyway she "encouraged" me to go and perform the same song at the Sat showcase which I didnt want to cos I dont think I would want or need or miss the "stage experience". After declining and asking if really really have to perform, then she replied that if the other a55 does better, he goes.

YAY! He better be better... basket dunno reliable or not.

After sitting through all the pin-pointing of mistakes and some good points, I went off to eat my belated dinner. Wanted to watch a movie cos was feeling kinda tired and wanted to 'treat' myself for the LONG day but nothing much to see. Hence disappointed, took 2 buses home, stoning on the way back.

Reached home, bathed to refresh, practiced a bit more guitar with pointers and go online. Very stoned now. Luckily tom nothing crap last min thing so far. Will ignore if I see any.

No comments: