Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A very very 'exciting' morning... man, I am dead-beat

This morning, I was woken up when Geoky came and opened my door. I didnt smell anything or hear any strange noise. I was wondering sleepily whether she was going to charge her hp and just unknowingly woke me. It was 7am.

Then she came in and said, there's a fire. I got up and went to the living room. Now I smell the burnt fumes. Its like melted plastic. There wasnt much fumes, just the smell and some yelling from the firemen arriving in the fire engines, about 2 plus a rhino. Heard from my dad that its coming from downstairs, near the ground floor.

I heard my dad telling Geoky to open up the windows, but in doing so, alot of fumes came into the house. Within minutes, the house was quite hazy, we could see the clouds of fumes, rising up from below. The entire house was fumey. My dad told us not to inhale the fumes, but kinda hard given everywhere is fumes. Decided then to get out of the unit. Told my sister and we grabbed something each. I got my keys, and wallet, she got her hp. My dad didnt want to leave the unit. He thought, that we dun need to get out cos our unit is nowhere near the fire.

BUT thankfully he changed his mind after the fumes got worse. We quickly switched off the lights and power sources and locked the door and walked down via the stairs to land up near the carpark. Some neighbours left already. One family saw us leave, they also left. The danger was not the fire, but the fumes that was rising directly up as our side was directly above the fire.

So after we went down, and stood near the carpark, we could see where the smoke was coming from. It was billowing up from the coffee shop below. Then some kepo aunties and uncles also crowd around. The policemen condorned off the immediate surroundings and the SCDF officers went about fighting the fire.

I was just standing there, sleepy, in my short-sleeved t-shirt, with my sleeping shorts, a jacket to cover up, with my keys and wallet. No chance to wash face, or even drink water. My sister stood beside me in a similar situation. My mom had went over next door to dabao. Saw her and stood next to her. She had the food she had dabaoed. My dad was busy looking, walking around looking, being a kepo.

BUT you cant really see much, cos the fire nearer to the kitchen area of the stalls. I was like sooooo wanting to go next door coffee shop to buy a coffee to drink, maybe eat something, cos it would definitely take a while for the firemen to put out the fire. I was thinking, how was I suppose to contact my workplace to inform them that I might be late IF the fire was not controlled by the time I had to leave. I had left my phone in the room the night before. My sister contacted her boss and collegues, so she could go a bit later. For my case, I had remedial. Had to go in earlier. So bo bian.

Just standing there, for for more than 20 mins (since I didnt have my watch) I really got sian. I was not interested to watch and speculate like what some were doing. I was thirsty, needed to eat soon cos had to leave near 9. Had tried asking Geoky, Mom and Dad earlier, when we just got down, if wanted to go to next door coffeeshop to have a coffee but was refused. Since nothing much was happening, I asked again. This time around 8am liao, me and Geoky made our way next door. I had assured her I had my wallet, with cash, my 2 atms, ic inside. So defintely no prob to get food and coffee. By then the fire was either extinguished or under control but still no signs of being safe to go back.

So we got coffee and onion pratas and ate it. Left my dad and mom there standing still and just looking. Then Geoky smsed Yingel and told her got fire. Yingel replied back, Are you joking. I teased Geoky about her crying wolf too many times that Yingel dun believe her. After we've finished eating, we went back over, just in time to see my Dad making his way back to the flat. Apparently he had asked the officer if it was okay to go back, and was given the go-ahead.

Only problem was the lift. Only 1 was working and it was pitch dark without lights. My dad went in. He reckoned he couldnt climb up the stairs cos of his heart condition, so he rather take the lift. The climb down was okay but the climb up may set off something. My sister and I waited below, and after seeing that the lift made it up safely, called my mom who was back home to verify that Dad made it safely. Then both of us climbed the stairs up. It wasnt that difficult for us. Not much exertion. (I climb easily more stairs at work, my sister has to walk a bit from the mrt to her workplace daily)

The house was still smelling of fumes. No electricity and gas, got water. It was about 8.30+ then. I had about half an hour more to get ready for work. By then still feeling very dazed and tired. Tired cos woken up early and all the 'excitiment' leaves one feeling mentally tired. Left with Geoky at 9am for work. Both of us were wishing that we could call in mc. Yar for the smoke inhalation or fatique or shock... whatever, whichever it was, it left me feeling tired before work started.

Work was LOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. After remedial, I had duty followed by lesson for the first part. Then later on another 6 periods. By the time I left the workplace, I was exhausted. Not to mention, had another phelgm cake just before lesson in the later part of the day. The weather is punishing. Wet and humid plus cold air con.

Now kinda worried that this phelgm cake was happening in increasing frequency. Last week once, this week twice consecutively. Will be making my trip to the polyclinic after Jap exam, in the following sats.

If tomorrow cannot make it. Just do it!

No comments: