Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Stick-in-the-mud

Irritating stick-in-the-mud my dad is. I wanted to treat my mom and family to the taiwan cafe place, as part of my first full-time salary thing, plus mom's bdae and also mother's day. Only just finished reserving places at Xin Wang the taiwan food place then I told my dad about going down to eat. First thing is he complained that its inconvenient, though I offered to point on directory map how to go. Keep going on and on about how should just eat nearby, how inconvenient town is blah blah, how he's not the type of person to go downtown to eat, how parking is inconvenient... So I just told him, he not keen, we all take cab down ourselves, dont need to treat give him a treat. That shut him up. Yar if that's how its to be, then I rather we all go in a cab either with or without him. Have until Sun morning to see how things turn out.

If he wants to be a stick-in-the-mud, how is he going to taste other food. Its like the other time, when I actually managed to get him to drive down to Plaza Singapura to eat at Cartel and he discovered the Ox Tail soup. Or the other time when I told him I will treat at the BBQ chicken place in Ginza where the Beef Hamburg is splendidly delicious. I dont know what will happen but there are just really limited food that are nearby despite being delicious, and many have eaten quite a few times already. Sometimes its not about just the convenience but its to try something new. I dont think my family has eaten much of taiwan food other than the taiwan sausage or occasional big chicken cutlet. Why not be more adventurous? Its NOT like I am telling dad to drive all the way to East Coast to eat say Carrot cake. Though he has driven to East Coast as an excuse to eat satay many a times before. What's with the excuse of parking. From what I know, there are quite a few carparks in Marina itself, also in Esplanade, its more of the cost of parking.

I have just smsed my other 2 sisters to inform that I reserved a place and timing, dad is nagging, maybe we go in cab on sunday. So far one replied okay. Other one should be okay also, waiting for her sms. So if dont want to drive, at most get 2 cabs lor. if not 4 of us can get into one. My mom doesnt go out that much, limited by similar thinking and her bladder is very active, limited by that. Its a chance to go out and walk a bit. Can even show her the IR, Cedele carrot walnut cake and others. At least she is more willing to walk than my dad.
__________________________________________

This part is about the food that I have been eating. Last month or so, I finally was able to wake up quite early after practising for work. The other part was practicing eating breakfast. So on a Sat morning, I woke up early and hungry. I headed out to eat and actually finally ate at this porridge place downstairs. Its a rather renowned porridge store that dunno why shifted to the coffeeshop below my block. But cos I am not really a porridge person (my idea of porridge being the hokkien or teochew style of plain porridge with dishes), so the whole fish porridge with you tiao doesnt really appeal. Also I had eaten some before from the nearby hakwer stalls and those werent fantastic. They were only eaten in occasional times of me being ill and my stomach very sensitive to food.

So I ordered a Fish porridge with egg. It came looking quite unimpressive. Then when I put in soya and mixed in the egg. I scooped some and put into my mouth. Its very smooth, the fish is very very fresh, the little bits of chinese veg put in gave it a very cruchy taste. There were long and very thin ginger slices that added to the overall taste. The you tiao also matched very nicely. The portion is also just right. Not overly filling yet satisfying. That's the most Delicious porridge (cantonese style) that I had ever eaten in my life. Its called 眉姐 porridge. Unfortunately they only do biz in the early morning, up to before lunch time. Then closes. Cos the Zi Char stall is too powerful, no point fighting. So far I have eaten there at least 5 times in the past month. I can only eat during weekend mornings if its open.

The 2nd time I ate there, I noticed that people actually ordered a side dish. So I ordered that on top of the fish with egg porridge. Its a 生鱼 salad of sorts. Yes I ate that happily with the porridge. The fish is really very fresh, thinly sliced, with their sauce, bits of veg and also lemon juice. Its really very tasty. Was very full after that. That's my first time actually ordering Sheng Yu with porridge. I know that some porridge stalls actually sells that but I have never ordered for fear of tasting Stale fish with overly fishy odors.

I remember sometimes wishing that I could wake up earlier to eat it but during weekdays, just dont have that much appetite or enough time to slowly enjoy a bowl of porridge. But I do have cravings for the porridge. That's just how good it is for me. So far I've eaten it yesterday and today for breakfast. Still not sick of the taste. Been recommending my mom to go try it. Hope to eat it a bit more before they close off...

The 717 durian stall at the same coffeeshop has ceased operations. NO..... my durian moouse cake.... though I hadnt eaten you for in like at least 6mths due to diet reasons but you have left me for good..... *boo hoo* Yes, it ceased operations. Not surprisingly due to the location, not that much brisk business. So I can only go for that heavenly durian moouse cake in Bugis Junction that is IF I can work it into my occassional treat.

That's all for updates of food in my area.

No comments: