Thursday, May 27, 2010

Work-Life Balance finally???

Man I have been feeling a bit of tiredness especially in the morning at work. Think its partly my own for clocking in extra hours for classes, gym and assignments outside of working hours. Think the travelling around has gotten to me.

Not that I cant function. I 'power down' during the free periods and 'start engine' whenever I am in class. Then when there is enough power built up, I start doing work-related stuff during my free periods, things like getting ws ready, thinking of what to do etc etc.

And of course during free periods when I am waiting for power to build up, I would stone a bit infront of laptop and check out FB, blogs, share prices due to the market condition now. Just that there really isnt too much to do at times cos of the whole 8am - 5pm type of office working hours. So there isnt that option to go back earlier like when I was an Educator.

BUT during those days, I remembered that I hardly go back earlier say at 1-3pm. I hardly ever get to go off that early. It was considered very good IF I could leave around 4-5pm when I was in the a.m. session and later when I on floating arrangment. Just recalling those days really gives me shudders. I wouldnt want to voluntarily go back for that type of arrangment unless I am desperate for money.

I rather like my current arrangment where though its office hours, I leave by 5pm plus, reach home around 5.30pm and still can have to option to go for other stuff outside of work. Its more of a work-life balance cos there is time enough for stuff, be it recreational, interest or more of income. Though its a bit tiring at times, my stamina and endurance has improved greatly from the regular and disciplined exercise regime. So far I went to the gym twice already, Mon and Wed. Thinking of going on Sunday also so that I can hit 3 times a week. Body is feeling a bit tired cos of the exercise but no major pain, think slapping on the muscle cream before I sleep after the workout helps. Cos my current job is a contract-type, renewable every year, hope can stay on at least for a couple of years.

I think I am slowly turning into one of them, or at least maybe slightly less than half. Now during class, I dont sit down. I stand and walk around continously to check on students, I bring extra changes of clothes especially on days with cca activities, I left a jacket and sweater at work for use when needed, I can eat lunch within 20mins if I focus on the task of eating, even the whole bowing and smiling and waving hands, I just do and follow without too much thought.

There are admirable points about the people. They really are efficient. Meetings are held once a month (at least the one which I need to attend), they already churned out 3-4 newsletters for each level covering the activities done so far, the combined 3-schools magazine is already printed out and distributed to staff, think students also, all are kept in the loop about what is happening in own level through daily schedules done and printed and left on the desk daily, other levels keep u updated with their newsletters, and school events, schedules and info are printed and left on your table and even given earlier during the monthly meeting. Best part, they start prompt and end promptly for meetings. Admirable points about punctuality and efficiency.

But they apply their expectations differently to own people and foreigners. They have the cultural expectation of staying back late after work which doenst apply to us, also certain protocals to follow which they dont expect us to follow. So that's good news for me.

No comments: