Sunday, May 24, 2009

Final Fantasy: Distant World Concert

The performance was fantastically spectacular.

The orchestral arrangement of certain tunes gave it more depth than the original tune in the soundtracks. Also it sounds really great to hear the original ochestral songs eg One Wing Angel, Libera Fatali performed 'live'.

While listening to the performance and watching the screen at the CGI playing, scenes from the game, it brought back fond memories, my secondary school days, playing FFVII, then JC playing FFVIII and FFXI. Later FFX in early uni days.

I didnt play FFXI cos it was online and I didnt have internet nor comp when it first started. Hence missed out on the music. For FFXII, I have the game but havent started it, I've heard the review that its GREAT. Expect the same for the music. Then not so long ago, just saw the drooling graphics of FFXIII on the PS3 and HD tv.

The performance of the earlier FF titles from I to VI also brought back certain tunes that I loved but didnt have the soundtrack for them.

The performance of the song 'Distant Land' from FFXI shook me. The music was great, the lyrics profound, though the singer didnt sound too good at the start, the song came alive midway, when she neared the chorus, coupled with the CGI scenes from the game. Really felt the intense emotion of the whole song. Man, I want to get my hands on the complete soundtrack of FFXI to FFXIII. Would have to make a visit to HMV one of these days but the taiwan versions, hardly can find any music stores stocking them. Just discovered one but its very very limited. The original from Japan, easily cost more than $100 for each title. But I still feel that its really worth it.

I listened to these tracks through my secondary days until university. Though sadly in recent times, I have not listened much, they are still my prized collection. I do remember certain favourite tunes. And also recently, after finding that shop, I have started buying Game soundtracks. There's many memories. Each is a track for that part of my youth. Hope to get more tracks for my current life.

Another bonus is that fact that Mr Nobuo Uematsu was in the audience!!! The famous guru of FF music was present!!! (though there was this OTAKU guy who kept shouting aloud the name of the sensei) BUT its a honour to be there to see him in person. He's a fantastically brilliant composer. Those whose heard his works for the FF series knows he's that good. He can compose so many different songs/tunes that can really fit the time period of the game, from medivial to modern, light happy tunes to heart-wrenching music that tugs at the heart from the saddness, tunes of hope to sounds of epic battles. A true master indeed.

I want to buy the CD. Fullstop. Think this experience has made me rethink the orchestral version of the FF music. Even if its the same title, but the arrangement is different, the performance is different.

This is the best concert and really worth the money. If there is another in future, I'll be there. Its an inspiration to me at this period where I am feeling rather empty, tired and resigned. The music reminds me that there is hope and so many other things out there. I shall remember that.

Distant Worlds Original Version - Listen for yourself



Seas invite in the evening sun
to light the somber abyss.
Clouds dance up with the heavens' stars,
chanting an air of joyous bliss.

Water fades back from blue to jade,
guiding young rainbows high.
Flowers bloom into red and whites,
quenching our hearts when they run dry.

Angels chained by a beast locked in slumber.
Sin washed away by the swift flow of time.

I may know the answers.
Journeys over snow and sand.
What twist in fate has brought us
to tread upon this land?

Blessed by light and the burden of shadow.
Souls abide to an endless desire.

I may know the answers,
though one question I still hear.
What twist in fate has brought us
to roads that run so near?

Distant worlds together.
Miracles from realms beyond.
The lifelight burns inside me
to sing to you this song.
To sing with you this song.
To sing to you your song.

No comments: