Saturday, May 09, 2009

Swave Boarding!

Today was a bitter-sweet day. Bitter cos I have this thing from work I have to finish over the weekend so its crap. I've cleared half of it. Will clear the rest of it tomorrow. After I have done most of my things for the day.

My dad was bored and decided to drive us around at 5pm. We headed to East Coast. This time, my sisters decided to rent the swave boards. Its cheap. $2 an hour. I didnt want to, intending to walk around instead. After we finished renting it, we looked for a place to ride it.



No wonder its only $2 per hour. It cannot stand itself, cos it has only 2 wheels. You have to get on it with a bit of push, then balance yourself, maintain balance and then swerve your front leg in a 'S' shape.

The first 20 minutes saw me and my Dad acting as support posts for both sisters so that they can mount the board. Then as the swaveboard is split into two parts that can move independently, balancing is tough. Then my dad left me to watch the sea and people. I was the sole support post, plus balancing beam. Later my sister asked me to try inbetween their continued struggles.

I tried to get on it like a skateboard, ie put front leg on it, give it a slight push, lift hind leg and put on the board. Could mount easier with more tries. Was sweating buckets by then. Then later tried to movement of the hips or waist or legs to get it to move.

By the 40 minute mark, all 3 of us could mount the board but still stuck at propelling the board. Still we persisted. We took turns to try the 2 boards, while one takes a break inbetween.

By the 50 minute mark, we could travel the distance of 2-3 lamp posts on the swaveboards. By then we really got the money's worth... Returned the boards and headed home. Cos mom cooked at home liao, went back to eat.

This swaveboard learning session really brought back memories of younger days. Primary school days when my Dad bought me a skateboard as a reward for my studies. Spent much time just balancing on the board and moving it around. Didnt learn tricks cos nobody to teach. I still have that skateboard, though its gathering dust under my bed. Incidentally the swave board is very affordable, only $75. I was expecting $100-$200. Lemme see if I am into it enough to buy one to master.

Me and my sister bought an ice cream cone each to eat from the bowling alley and we headed back. Ice cream never tasted so good, only after a good sweat session. Think all the calories has gone back.

No comments: