Sunday, March 29, 2009

Almost a "New" guitar

Yep this weekend has been a bit short for me. Mainly cos I spent half of Sat doing work at workplace. Cos I couldnt dabao home to do, surely not done plus urgent. Though I did clear some marking, 1.5 stacks. Tom going in a bit earlier to clear it up.
____________________________________________________

The rest of the Saturday was spent travelling home, eating lunch and buying 4D on the way home to bring out my guitar. I wanted to bring it down to be re-stringed. Found the shop, asked the opening hours and rates liao. So just get it over and done with. Also wanted to enquire if the strings could be lowered more down to the fret, cos I couldnt bar chords at the 7th fret onwards.

I travelled down with Geoky, her heading to watch ManHunt, which she later saw a very shuai judge. She told me later she was staring at the judge instead of the contestant.

Okay so I headed down to the shop and to my pleasant surprise, the guy could lower the strings by filing away part of the grooves at both the top and bottom part of the guitar where the strings are at. The cost is okay, $30. If it can be done, I dont have to buy a new guitar. So its definitely affordable for me.

Plus several years back, I had the guitar adjusted once for $25 I think. So that brought the strings closer but still not close enough to match the ones I used in the music school. In fact those are under Maestro brand and its so easy to press that I had thought they had stringed nylon strings instead of metal strings to the acoustic guitar. Okay plus restringing, service charge $10 and new softer strings $9. Total $49, and I had to wait 2hours.

So met up with Tab who was wandering the streets of Orchard after her work too. She was with FH. All 3 of us were very stoned. All of us had slept very late, >2am on friday 'nite' and woken up <8am for work, reservist stuff. Hence all very very stoned by 5pm. We had an early dinner and sat through alot of crap from FH, especially his remarks about his love-handles and the HUGE advertising potential IF he took part in ManHunt. LoL, luckily by then, I had finished eating.

After dinner, both Tab and FH headed home. I headed to collect my guitar and headed home. Really fell asleep on the bus journey but didnt overshoot, just nice. Reached home, bought fried rice cos all the rest of the hawker really sells unhealthy food.

Roti prata - oily, Mee goreng - oily, Western food - heaty, oily, Chicken rice - oily, fattening, Laksa - not healthy cos of coconut, fried kuay tiao - oily, hokkien mee - damn fattening too. Dont like noodles food. So left Zhi Cha, and dabaoed fried rice.

It was just nice that Earth hour started when I reached home. I think its not much if everybody just only switched off consciously for 1hour in the whole year. More of doing it every day, saving a bit. So I still switched on the lights, though only those lights that I need. Cos I couldnt eat in the dark, change clothes in the dark, tidy up the house in the dark. After eating, went straight to playing the guitar. Its so new-looking and the strings are much much closer to the fret than before.

Btw, the clip on tuner I bought was damn cool too. Its got a mic and clip function. You clip on the guitar and can adjust the screen, turn it around to face you, cool. It has a nice face also. If its not the correct note, everything is red. Once its correct, everything turns green. Easy to use. Friendlier and also much much smaller. Tab and FH were using it to measure their voices over dinner. I've noticed that even guitar bags, non hard cases have zips closer to one side such that it opens up like a case instead of our old ones where the zip is in the middle. Nevermind, if its not broke, I am not going to just buy for such a marginal small change.
_________________________________________________

Today woke up later, thank god can sleep more but it was still early than what I wanted, 9.15am. The room was too bright to continue sleeping. Tidied up home a bit cos parents not here, went back. Yingel went for chalet. Geoky still sleeping. Then watched tv a bit, read newspaper and mainly practiced guitar. Around noon, I went next door to eat, just ate Zha Fan cos its healthier in the sense, that you can choose different vegs with the meat instead of the rest which are either high fat, high calories, little vegetables etc.

Then Geoky and I headed to see the sinseh. We had an appointment to be checked. He asked me to guess a number from his unique dream. Then later we went to buy it. But the number jumped by one number again. Oh well. Stock market go high, high I even more grateful cos can also make $$$ from there.

The plan was to go swimming on the way back so I had brought my stuff. My sister didnt cos Yingel maybe joining so she can bring for her instead. But by the time we were done, Geoky didnt feel like it. So I headed there, doing banking errand on the way. It was around 5.50pm when I started.

The medium pool was rather empty, the sun hadnt set yet, the weather was cool cos it had stopped raining much earlier and had a blast swimming 7 laps rather quickly. Even tried doing a continuous 2laps with no stopping. Suddenly there was 3 swimming classes with kids swimming the breath of the pool.. Argh. Continued to swim the rest of the 5laps, taking care to let them through, stop to let them swim by first. After that, I left the pool 6.35pm. Went to shower cos didnt want to continue with so much interuptions. Also target achieved though it wasnt an hour.

Headed home, bought stationary and an Oolong tea at Ginza. Dabaoed more Zha Fan home to eat. Bathed, watched tv, tidied up my table a bit. Updated share prices tracking and read and blog. Wanted to practice more guitar but think too tired now.

Tom I look forward to more share market action, but I dont look forward to work.

No comments: