Saturday, March 21, 2009

My fingers, ouchy

Yes, yesterday I brought my guitar for lesson. It did take a bit of effort to travel down with it. Maybe wont do this as often even during holidays. Anyway the classmate offered to help me tune it cos it sounded a bit off. I still havent found my tuner. Its still lying somewhere in the room.

After tuning, the strings got so much much tigher than usual plus the fact that my guitar model is such that the strings are quite far from the fret hence it meant its harder to press and it would cause more pain. Also pressing the 7th fret onwards, the sounds dont come out well cos the strings are quite far from the fret in the middle and even much harder to press down. Sian.

Managed to catch up with last week's song that I had missed and then did another new song with new strumming style. The instructor extended a bit to finish covering both songs, esp going through with me. Recommended a nearby guitar place for me to re-string cos the strings are rusty liao. Yar my area has no guitar shops to re-string. So after that met up with the rest for dessert at MOF and later ate at Fong Seng, prata and tissue prata. I reached home and practiced guitar until 3am plus. Then still couldnt sleep, I watched a dvd until 4.30am then slept.

The thing is though I had mastered the new strumming style and the 2 songs but my fingers are swollen, esp the left middle and ring finger. I want to practice more so today also practiced again. Even more pain. I am reminded painfully of the time when I had first gotten this guitar and how I had to master the pain to play the basic chords and strumming. Seriously this guitar is not good for a beginner. Even now, though I can play better than before, but still its not an easy guitar to use when tuned.

So I was thinking of how to get about this dilemna. To either try to fix this guitar so that I can play it with less pain, or buy another guitar that has closer strings to fret. The cost is not the issue. The storage space needed for 2 guitars, plus maybe with new guitar, the first guitar is rendered useless and hence might as well throw or just kept aside. BUT the first guitar holds many memories. It is still my first guitar and the one I used to go through the inital learning and pain and stuff. SIGNZ. Been thinking about it the whole day and cant really decide.

Then later in the afternoon, headed down to check out the guitar shop to find out its operating hours, cost of restringing etc. Its open everyday. Too bad I didnt bring the guitar down together. Cos I didnt want to risk going down with it and then its not open and then have to lug it around. Since its open, think next weekend, I'll bring it down for restring first. See if can readjust further and the cost involve. If not, then a new guitar with tuner. Restringing is okay at $10 service charge excluding strings. Then I walked around and noticed that within the same building, there are like 6 guitar shops, numerous lan gaming shops, a tattoo parlour, a rather empty and big pool parlour and arcade inside. Woah, cant judge a book by its cover cos the shopping centre is quite old and dinghy looking.

Went to PS to finish off the tokens I had for quite a while. Then returned home near 5pm. Watched Dvd that I had bought until 7.20pm. Headed to swim second time of the week with sister. Cos we hadnt eaten so early on into the 7th lap or so, felt tired liao. Persisited and we left after 13 laps. Drank the ginger soup at the tang yuan place and then dabaoed bao bing and reached home to eat dinner. Will aim to swim Monday and Thursday so that can free up weekends for rest and recreation.

At this point, I still want to go strum and pluck the guitar a bit despite the pain. So far this year, going for guitar is still the best thing that has happened to me. Its like my past fillers for the ealier years. Initially it was Japanese lesson in level 1/2 during early working days. Then it was gym going during contract days. Later was more of friday evenings out. Then Toto and 4D last year. This year its guitar and the active trading of shares. Hope both will have gains. Found a school for electric guitar but will only consider after I have finished at the current one.

No comments: