Tuesday, June 01, 2010

A bit of work grouse

This week, is not that great at work. Why?

Yesterday the weather made me feel a bit sickly and also that many period thingy, though later one got rescheduled. Today some students were commenting how it's scary for them when there are two teachers in the class, aka me, besides their eng teacher. Duh... I had already been going into their class at least once a week for a period of 2 months, shouldnt you be used to by now? Ya so that somewhat made me a bit sore, also think is some of them getting more cheeky in class. Will try to ignore that sore feeling and focus on doing my job.

Partly I am starting to question the role of my position. Job responsibilities are still not officially clarified. So besides the clear role of the once-a-week class I am teaching, which I have alot more say and initiative in doing the ws and resources, the rest, cos their ws needs to include elements of translation, I just do as best as I can during the lesson, whenever there are class activities/game ws. Usually the eng teacher comes to me on the actual day of the lesson just to tell me what is the plan for that day. Some I am scared to notify in advance cos when I just tell them, then ask me to find games for that topic which isnt difficult actually BUT the problem is that those game books I have, most of the games cannot fit what their syllabus is EXACTLY. Hence either cannot do cos too hard for them or have to seriously adapt. That is the irritating part. I just inform you I be coming into your next class, then you tell me to get a game, I search my books and resources and its too hard/difficult/doesnt match the things they are learning. Eg In local school, we teach "this" and "that" and "these" and "those" but in their syllabus, only teach "this" and "that" only. So the activitiy that requires all 4 are not able to be adapted for just only "this" and "that". Then the class is just tomorrow or near the time I was about to knock off. So I try to rush out something so that I dont have to stay late, alot of mental quick-thinking on the feet. Sometimes no idea is no idea. I think I have to go look for even simpler game books with Tab one of these days again.

Though I do welcome the slack, I do wonder at times IF this slack would do me any good in the long term. Not that I am not polishing my skills. I think the ability to facilitate game activities in class is getting better, some better time management, matching activities to lessons. Besides that, I am still in touch with maths and english due to my double assignments. So guess I have to learn to be satisfied and patient. Guess this doubt came about cos I wish to learn more, and build up higher skills set instead of just relying on what I know and dumbing it down for the lower level... cos at least for English, the standard is still at up to maybe p4-5 standard usage. Havent seen their standard of writing, not much composition at all though there are short presentations.

Guess in a way I look forward to tomorrow, where I am the sole teacher, not an assistant one. Partly cos it only happens once a week, initially being too used to the role of the asst, then a bit reluctant to move out of the comfort zone of not having to teach much. Then I found I actually enjoy teaching so I do look forward to lesson. Just hope no incident occur in the class. And also cos its 3 levels one after another, its rather mentally taxing though I do enjoy it. It is this taxing part which I dont enjoy as much. After the class, I am zombified and really very very stoned. Then after work still got Japanese class, lagi stoned until jialat. Look forward to the bed instead.

Need to recover and then still feel the effects on the next day thurs. On thur, have cca and also assignment, really ultra stoned to the core. Reach home just to bathe and sleep. My stamina for this routine is getting better but just not sure if I am falling ill, hopefully not. Have been taking my vitamins and other pills rather regularly, though my neck is still crackling.

No comments: